Is Someone Pulling a Fast One?

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a Carter Mechanical fuel pump from parts store, it was part # M60278. My wife stopped and picked it up Friday for me. The box is a Carter box, but the pump has Pierce stamped into it. Also while I was researching the pump swap someone had posted pictures of a Carter and another less favorable brand. The Carter had a straight shaft and the other had a dogleg in it. This pump I have has a dogleg in it. Any ideas?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that's it it's just the new still just make sure you set it in there right and you will be fine.

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was going to change it today, but wanted to make sure I was actually putting in a Carter pump. I'm a little reserved about the positioning of the arm. Will it be pretty straightforward once I begin the installation? I like doing things once, and can only imagine the mess it could cause if installed improperly. New pump came with a gasket, do ya'll put any other gasket maker on there or is the supplied one all thats needed? I will be working on the truck all day Wed. to get it ready for upcoming trip pulling our camper.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dog leg one works just fine. my factory original one was straight armed, new one was dog legged.

Odd, mine was the opposite. The one I put in when i rebuilt the motor was a dogleg, new one is straight. Both work fine, just be careful to make sure the arm is on the cam properly. You can put it on the wrong way.

Mine with the dog leg was a carter and had cracks in the dogleg part. Odd, it only had ~30-40k miles.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Odd, mine was the opposite. The one I put in when i rebuilt the motor was a dogleg, new one is straight. Both work fine, just be careful to make sure the arm is on the cam properly. You can put it on the wrong way.

Mine with the dog leg was a carter and had cracks in the dogleg part. Odd, it only had ~30-40k miles.

maybe that was the way mine was. either way the new one was different than the old one, but it still worked fine. lol

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Probably a rebox. I know that whenever we changed product lines at the parts store, they just came in and put our current stock in the new brands box.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Its a Rebox item probly made in mexico shipped to a "builder" reboxed in a carter bow and shipped to carter, the alternator factory i use to work in done alot of rebox, got alternators rebuilt in mexico shipped to us then we reboxed them and sold them to ford bosch mitsubishi mopar whatever you name it we done it, it was a huge scam and i hated it, we only rebuild ford 1g 3g 4g 6g and a few mitsu and mopar alternators

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along with Pierce stamped on it, it does say Made in the USA. Wondering whether I should put it in or take it back and tell em I want another to look at. Bad thing is they had to order it, and I'd like to have this done Wed.

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note. With the skepticism about different brands of mechanical fuel pumps, why don't more buy them from Ford dealer? Just a thought that if the original equipment pumps work well and last wouldn't this be a part we would be better off buying factory? I know water pumps are something that alot say to get from dealer along with other things. Just thinking out loud. May call my parts guy at dealer and see what he has to say, well I'll see him tomorrow cause the new CDR valve will be there $52 and some change for it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
On another note. With the skepticism about different brands of mechanical fuel pumps, why don't more buy them from Ford dealer? Just a thought that if the original equipment pumps work well and last wouldn't this be a part we would be better off buying factory? I know water pumps are something that alot say to get from dealer along with other things. Just thinking out loud. May call my parts guy at dealer and see what he has to say, well I'll see him tomorrow cause the new CDR valve will be there $52 and some change for it.

I prefer the airtex lift pumps i like them myself

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726