Is it IP/Injector time?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
So I know my fuel system is warn (170k plus) and it is hard starting some times when its warm. What my concern is though when the engine is not quite up to operating temp (100-180 degrees) If I put it in first or second and wind it up (2700 plus rpm) she'll run rough (sounds like shes missing and the exhaust is popping) and a LOAD of blue smoke shoots out. She'll still hiss and miss when warmed up although no smoke comes out (or very little). From 2500 on down she runs great though and will idle smooth. I have never "roalled coal" either so its rare for me to smoke. Ill try to shoot a video tomorrow but cell phone quality leave much to be desired. Any thoughts on this?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jim.....not real sure what that is to be honest with you. That popping/misfirning is kind of worrisome, but usually when its a valve guide or something like that it happens at idle also and sounds like a chuffing out the exhaust or a backfire through the intake. You might have some really bad injectors or a pump that flat can't cut the mustard or hold any kind of calibration. A video would help a lot, cellphone quality might be enough. You might need to get that fixed before you come back here to school, could be a long unpleasant I95 ride otherwise eh?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yeah its a long unpleasent trip anyway you slice it. I tried today to take a video and you couldnt hear a dern thing on it so I'll have to get another video somehow. The idle is smooth as glass and running on up to 2700 it is really smooth. Looking through my records the IP was replaced at 100k and couldnt find where the injectors were ever replaced. I have 272000 now. Being straight piped high rpm it cackles but like I said in first gear if I try to hit the governor it doesnt sound right and blows blue smoke. My guess is that everything is so warn that it doesnt like going that fast. I'm not really that concerned about it because how often do I go above 2600 with normal driving (not agressive teenage testasterone driving)? Never. Ill try to work on that video though.