Is anyone playing with compressor housings and wheels? Where's the garret and MHI pro

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
hi jay,

I guess you're going to find this interesting:
http://cummins-tuner.com/Cummins-Tuner Turbo Shootout.pdf
it is about cummins BUT it makes quiete clear that especially compressor wheels are not easy to compare.

Too many variables. Dito on turbos. In the cummins test the author did almost all so called upgrade turbos did NOT noticeable better over all.

Theres only one available wheel from garret (that i know of) that will "upgrade" the non-gated T04, without changing backing plates and housings, it has a larger inlet diameter, its most likely the one found in the turbo that 77f250diesel has that he was referring to.

The results are proven, if your interested in learning about them, do a search on this site, their are a few older threads talking about the wheel mod.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are really no drop in upgrades. I have a good supplier that has been in the business a long time , he recommended a wheel and it works, maps say it may not but raw numbers while driving dont lie.
I will repair/ mod any turbo I can get parts for. Garrett based turbos are user friendly, mitsus are not.

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
There are really no drop in upgrades. I have a good supplier that has been in the business a long time , he recommended a wheel and it works, maps say it may not but raw numbers while driving dont lie.
I will repair/ mod any turbo I can get parts for. Garrett based turbos are user friendly, mitsus are not.

yeah the "upgrade" will still require compressor housing machining as I'm sure you know Russ. Even if someone had to mill the back plate, its no big deal, but the way i understand it, you dont want your compressor wheel varying drastically from your turbine wheel size.

Russ i feel like mitsu gets such a $h!ty reputation in the diesel community, because of that stupid sidewinder they stamped/modded for banks.

My hours and hours (more like days and days) of research turned up an entire list of wheel mods and their respective machining or housings-swap options, for MHI turbos. In my opinion, If someone wanted to go with a waste-gated MHI turbo with a modded compressor wheel, they would be better off buying any thing that is actually Mitsubishi and modding it rather than modding that TE06H "custom" made for banks.

Surprisingly i found a wheel that is ALMOST identical to the banks compressor wheel, but jsut being that tiny bit off it may (probably will) need the back plate (maybe even the compressor housing) milled a small bit. The way i see it, if I have to mill it just a little to fit a nearly perfect replacement, one might as well put the biggest function-able wheel they can on and mill it more to fit the better performing wheel.

MHI was incredibly helpful and gave me all the information i asked for, they have an entire database the tech's can access that supply's all the wheel measurements, shaft measurements, etc.

Russ from what i understand you run an ATS platform right?

Whats your opinion on the "old" non-waste-gated turbochargers vs the ATS as well as newer style internally gated, like the new sidewinder. Also have you seen drastic differences between the EGT's on the non-gated vs the internal-gated?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that is exactly what I am doing with a customers mitsu, using a "stock" wheel that is a bit bigger than the banks. Then its repairable in the future. If you get a part number and size for the turbine that would be sweet.

I have found that the wastegated kicks in quicker to reduce egt sooner hence keeping them down.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ all: just keep in mind that compressor wheels constantly rotate easy more than 120.000 times per minute! Depending on rpm even double or twice. Minimum of unbalance can cause a total engine fail, as parts get into the engine....

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
Russ ill have to find my book of notes and see if i have the part number in there.

derjackistweg yeah turbo failure can definitely lead to engine failure. The quality parts distributors that ive found offer their wheels "pre balanced" honestly the rest of the assembly is already balanced and most people like myself have the oppinion that assembly balancing after installing a quality pre-balanced wheel is rather redundant. A member on here (i believe the thread is still on the first page of threads) gave feedback when he spoke with Mels turbo guy at conostoga: The turbo guy at conostoga had the same opinion when it came to that gentleman's TP38, he was doing a full rebuild and replacing the stock wheel with the banks wheel upgrade (the most popular TP38 upgrade). He said that the turbo guy at conostoga advised him that getting it balanced after putting in a pre-balanced wheel was just a waste of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online