Intro and IDI Noob Questions

RyanMcD

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forums and I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible about these trucks!

Recently acquired a 1993 IDI with the stock turbo and have a few questions... I've done some reading, but I'm a bit confused about a few things.

-My turbo says "Garrett" on it... is this the same as the "093 ATS" I keep reading about?
-Will a Banks downpipe bolt right up to this turbo, or do I have to do additional fabrication? Is this something a shade-tree mechanic could do?
-Will a new downpipe help with sound? The truck sounds great as it is, but you can't tell it's turbo'd! I expect opening up the DP would also help with EGTs.

-Is there any way to tell where my IP is set? It doesn't smoke at all, which I'm pleased with, but wondering if there's a way to tell if it's been turned up or down. Power levels seem decent.

-The truck seems to be in great shape mechanically (previous owner was a mechanic), but the interior is in pretty bad shape. Does anyone know if it's possible to tear the door panels apart to repaint and redo the fabric? It looks like they 'welded' the plastic on the back of the panels.

-How can I tell what kind of coolant and DCA/SCAs were used previously? I'd prefer not to do a full coolant flush (did it on my old 6.0 and didn't enjoy it!), but if that's the only, I'll do it.

Appreciate any assistance!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can get coolant test strips. I'd rather start new. Pretty easy on these engines. Get fleetcharge.
Free-er flowing intake and straight pipe will help hear the turbo better, plus better performance.
EGT gauge then you can adjust the ip.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

RyanMcD

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! The exhaust is straight-piped, but I did notice the intake looks pretty restrictive. Already planned on getting a pyrometer as well.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Some here have done a 6637 type filter.
Once you can turn up the pump, you'll notice more whistle.
I would also recommend timing the engine. Talk to gary aka icanfixall.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online