Interesting leak

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
So after replacing the IP and injectors I took the truck for a couple of spins around where I live. The truck has been sitting in my shop for a few months now. Prior to the few months its been parked It was my DD and never leaked (except some diff fluid) anyways now I have run it a bit and left it idle for 15-20 minutes to make sure I've got no fuel leaks still. I've been pretty thorough about checking return lines/inj/pump for leakage. While idling there were no leaks. Two nights ago I backed it up into the driveway (slight incline with front end facing downhill) and in the morning there was antifreeze/water all over the ground. It is dripping off of the holes in the crossmember that is next to the oil pan and right above the axle. I drove the truck to flat ground and let it idle for 10 mins then would slowly bring up the rpms. No leaking. Parked the truck on the hill again, but a different spot. I watched it and it didnt leak for a at couple of hours, not a drop. Over night it poured out and is still dripping as I type this. Looks like a good flow coming from the water pump. I'm thinking not running the truck for a couple months has dried up the seal and now its leaking. It's just bizarre that it doesnt leak out when there is pressure being put to it. I'm going to give it a treatment of bars leak and see if that fixes it. Any ideas or anyone have a similar problem?
Thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
To not use any stop leak!!!!
You can get UV dye for cooling systems. I saw orielly has it, doesn't cost much either.

Fix it right.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To not use any stop leak!!!!
You can get UV dye for cooling systems. I saw orielly has it, doesn't cost much either.

Fix it right.

X2. It will not actually "fix it", only mask a problem and cause more problems. These trucks need the proper antifreeze w/additive to avoid cavitation. Bars Leak will not only clog up passages (needed for cooling), but it will cause problems with the additive working properly for the cavitation issue. If it is the water pump, replace it. Bars Leak will only mask it at best and you will have a catastrophic failure, usually at the worst time, later.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the above postings are correct. Fix it right and be done with it. A water pump is cheap insurance that you have a tight cooling system. A stop leak is only a temp fix. Bars Leak is some good stuff but it has its places.. Other peoples cars and trucks.. Not ours...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the engine steam or pressure cleaned off really well.

Add some UV dye to the coolant after cleaning and then wait and trace the leak with a UV light once it's leaked again

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
could be oil cooler based on the location of the drips. i know both times my water pump leaked the drops were on/behind the crank pulley, even with wind when driving down the road then coolant never made it back to the x-member.....UV dye is fun, you will see EVERY spot that is leaking coolant.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online