Interesting find

pafixitman

Reaction score
Update.

Well a little at a time I have been tearing my baby apart. I don't know if I should be surprised, impressed or upset that I got the turbo and IP off in an hour and half last night! They are calling for up to 10" of rain by Saturday night - I hope they are wrong!

wgargan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valve spring for the exhaust on #5 moves about 1/16" in every direction with no force required! :eek:

Hey pafixitman,

Could we get an update on the wiggly #5?
What was it and what did it need to be replaced?

I have the same problem now. How about the $$$?

thanks alot!
Will

pafixitman

Reaction score
Not real sure what it was exactly. I ordered two heads from Clearwater Cylinder Head. The exhaust valve kissed the piston, but the rod was straight and true to spec. I got a NOS piston and wrist pin, new rings, new crank bearings. Add in new injectors, lifters, push rods, head bolts, gaskets, hoses, fluids etc. I was in it for about 1400 - 1500. That does not include the $$ spent in South Carolina, paint, cherry picker, beer etc!

Now, hindsight what it is, I would have had my heads done locally and saved a few bucks, but more importantly had the original head casting. CCH claims my heads are from India, but as far as I know that could be some town in China!

Head bolts came from Napa, some parts from my local Ford store and a lot from Rock Auto.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I had a couple of wigglies and I decided the valve were getting pounded up into the head and there was to much stem sticking up. So I put shims under the springs.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
mime was definitely a hanging valve. I couldn't let the motor heat cycle, ie. cool down for the evening. after stopping the first night in New Mexcio, the morning startup was quite the racket to hear. I drove straight through to the Sfbay area after that. approx 6 gals of water every 400 miles and a gallon of oil at the 800 mile mark. yes, there was a blown head gasket and prolly a hole in the piston by the time I got into town. For those who are curious, the factory crate motor had 50k miles on it, got the reciepts from the previous owner to prove it too.cookoo

Dude, thats exaclty what my dads 94 turbo is doing. Except its also transfering oil into the water and not water in the oil. I wonder if all thats wrong with it is a bad head and gasket?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger