Installing turbo on a NA 7.3, build questions.

furfishgame

Reaction score
1990 7.3 N/A idi, 195000 miles, 5 speed manual.

Bought a roto master turbo, used (going to see if i can get it rebuilt) with all the plumbing. It mounts on the front of the engine, driverside. Kinda weird but Anyway...
My questions are,
1. where/how do i connect my oil feed line?
2. The oil return can be tapped into valve cover, providiong obviously its below the turbo, from what i researched on here, correct?
3. I have stock injectors and injector pump, stock, albeit new, lift pump, should i upgrade to a moose pump and injectors, or is stock fine? Also do i need to upgrade my lift pump? With the lack of reliability of lift pumps, it has me wondering if there is something better..

4. Should i replace my head bolts as well as gaskets before i even do the turbo? Ive heard nothing bad about arp studs..

My truck is a work truck and girl getter, (though yours truly pretty much ruins any attention the truck might get as soon as girls see my face haha) not looking to have the fastest idi ever i just kinda hate having a truck that cant pull my skid steer around for crap.

Teach me your ways o masters. Thank you in advance

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I can offer suggestions on some of your questions.
Stock Pump and Injectors will be fine(just turn the fuel up a Flat)
But if you have the cash I would upgrade your fuel system. If your truck has around 160K it's time for new pump/injectors. As far as the lift pump goes many run a electric pump(but the stock lift pump does fine)
If your adding a turbo yes definitely do the HeadStuds Headgaskets would be a good idea also but not required. I just like to replace all the failure parts and be done with it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can rebuild and upgrade that turbo for you. I have over 100k on a lift pump so not sure about reliability issues, you do need one from ford or IH though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a Holley pusher pump instead of a lift pump, and I love it.
What's your budget?
Russ does a great job with his turbo rebuilds(typ4)
He does take his time, as its a side gig, but his workmanship
Is top notch!!!

If you got a decent budget I would buy Russ's cam as well!
And if you're replacing head gaskets, I would make sure the heads get a valve job
And new guides!
Good luck on the build!

furfishgame

Reaction score
My budget after buying the actual turbo and having it rebuilt as around 2000.. Doing all the work my self.

What is the advandage to the moose pumps(was thinking baby or junior) over a stock IH one? Is it worth the cost?

You say valve job, what is involved with that? I would assume thats a trip to the machinist..

I dont have a ford lift pump, my stock one went out amd the only place that had one was oreileys, and i dont remember the brand but i do remember not hearing very great reviews on that particular one.

I agree with fixing any future problems. Not that i dont like working on my truck, but i hate breaking down.

Russ ill send you a pm