Installing a walbro pump?

cur.bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am installing a Walbro pump between the tank selector (Pollak) and my injector pump. I have a BBC block off plate and will be taking out the mechanical pump. Is this location right? I ran an electric before but with the mechanical pump still installed. I read that the M Pump should be done away with????? thank you.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i put mine right on front of the selector valve. not sure what truck you have but i cut the steel fuel line right after the plastic line attached leaving enough to put a rubber hose on and not touch the factory plastic line. those plastic lines are a pain to deal with. pumps are much better at pushing fuel so you want it as close to your tanks as you can get it so it dousent have to pull a vacume to get it.

hint: keep a rubber cap handy for the cut fuel line or the fuel will keep suphoning out of the tank on you.......

just remember to put your pump on its own circiut with a dedicated fuse and relay to power it with the ignition on. they also say you should run the power through a oil pressure dead mans switch. that way if you loose oil pressure in your engine the fuel pump quits. its a saftey for if you were to get into an accident your fuel pump wont keep pumping your fuel out.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I cut my factory plastic line about 16" downstream from the tank selector valve. Using 3/8" rubber fuel line I was able to slide the rubber fule line over the plastic factory line and hose clamp them. So far no leaks, but this was only done a few days ago. I'm hoping it'll be ok. I haven't done away with my mechanical pump because I plan to use it as an oil return line when i mount my turbo charger in my exhaust towards the back of the cab, just under the upturn to my stacks. I hope to get after it before Julys over with, hope my mechanical pump will not break before then.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
those plastic lines are a PITA to deal with but the easiest way to do it is to find some kind of insert to slide into them. I got lucky and drove up to the mechanic shop after stalling my truck out and realizing that the connections to the plastic hose were collapsing. He had some brake line off of an old gradall or something that worked perfect. They have to barely be able to be wedged into the plastic lines then you have a hard line and dont have to worry about it collapsing.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used brass barbed fittings for the inlet and outlet of the pump. Between the valve and pump, I used regular fuel hose. On the outlet, I smoothed the barbs on the fitting down until it resembled the plastic barb fittings. Then placed the end of plastic hose in a cup of hot water and slid it onto the brass fitting. Lastly I added a piece of fuel hose and clamp for safety. Here is a picture.

Last edited: