info on 6.0

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
just figured since I was in yet another 6.0 at work, I would take a couple pics. Those of you that own a 6.0 should know what happens when you take it into a shop. And no, we dont pull the cab, the bolts dont like to be reused and the caged nuts like to spin, its easier to just pull the motor or do it in chassis.

punk

left to right is 1. head gaskets in chassis (heater box installed by the way, oh Yeah, its SO fun :rolleyes:) 2.front clip removed to pull engine (this one is leaking oil (O Goody) 3 engine out of same truck and 4 the last one is an "e" series ambulance (where the whole idea of pulling motor instead of lifting cab originated)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 36
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 35
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 30

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty funny. I had taken some pics at my Ford dealer a few weeks ago with intention of posting them, but I needed space on my phone and ended up deleting them. It showed a 6.4 at about 50,000 miles under warranty, body up in the air on the lift, top of the engine stripped off and 30 quarts of runny oil in the crankcase. What you say is true about the difficulties of removing the bodies. The bolts rust up quick, and the retainers break their welds and spin free, so you still end up tearing the cab apart. However, my dealer will re-weld them back in, because they know the truck may be back with the same problem shortly.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
we have welded a few cage nuts back in. Normally the cheesy "cage" (flimsy sheet metal bent around a nut that holds the cab on) just distorts and needs "reformed" (hammer and what little patience I can muster at that point)

i personally prefer the 6.0 to the 6.4, the 7.3 to the 6.0, and an idi to anything. i work on my idi like I do the 6.0's, just less stuff in the way to get to the motor.

punk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online