In truck D-50 bushing replacment

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing quite a bit of work on my front axle (D-50)can any of the pivot bushings be replaced in truck? I have a ball joint press. Couldn't find much on these bushings in a search.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ddi mine a few years ago. Pulled the suspension. That was hard enough. But then I didn't have a press. I had to use a chisel and a BFH.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a press, I'm going to try to get as much done on the truck before June as I can, if I can install,a couple bushings while working on the passenger side of the d-50 I will, it's not critical at this point. Someone recommended Un bolting the pivot bolt nearest the middle u-joint so I could access it with my u joint press, so figured if it's unbolted maybe I can replace the bushing too.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The one time I ever did then was a D44 TTB on Bruiser's 4x4 conversion. Rubber came out first (not without a fight) and I had to chisel and peel the outer metal sleeve until it let loose. Think leaf spring bushing replacement in the rust belt areas, minus the rust welded bolt.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Better to do it and get it over with though. Do yourself a favor and slather those SOB's in grease. And replace them with poly bushings so you don't have to replace them again as soon!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drill around circumfirence of rubber bushing to soften it and let it press out easier...same with spring eyes...good luck on the steel sleeve and bolt though...those are no fun...siezed bolts in bushings :rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle