Ignition Switch Swap

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Hey guys. Have an odd question. I was wondering if a guy could use the ignition switch off a 90 Ranger in a 90 F-series? Seems like they would be the same, but I just don't know... Thanks in advance. ~Dorian

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Don't know the cross-reference, but I do remember some ignition switch problems and recalls involving ig switches in the early 90s. Shorting and fires; hopefully everyone got theirs fixed on Ford's dime by this time!

I understood that there were 2 different styles of ig switch and lock installs in Fs of that era: in that tilts and one that's straight in. My 89 had the straight-in, and I understood I was fine.

Trusting others will have better info for you, though.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just plug in one of the trucks at autozone's site and see what the part number is. Then plug in the other truck and see if the ignition switch part number is the same as the first one. If it's different, it won't work. If there is even a remote chance it will work, even with just a little modifications, they will only keep one in stock for both vehicles. The heater fan is a good example if you have ever bought a replacement. It's all about keeping what stocked on the shelves to a minimum.