If you were looking to buy, what would you check?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I've read Mel's excellent write up on IDIs. If you were about to buy, what else would you look at/ for?

How would you check out the turbo ( '93)?
Have you found any special tricks to avoid getting burned?

I have fresh coolant test strips to check the SCA level--or lack thereof.
Would you buy a clean '93 turbo IDI with just about 110,000 miles even if SCA swere low or non-existent?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
To check the turbo I would first look for any external oil leaks. If its clean of oil on the outside, ask for permission to take the intake off, and look into the intake compressor housing. Inspect the wheel for any nicks or things of that sort, and check it for play.

If I were to check the truck, and find low SCA's, I would consider it, but would try to bring the price down and explain to the guy why. If it was non exsistant, I would try to lower the price even more so....so that the price you would agree on in the first place, minus a grand for a new engine to drop in. Thats just me though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, I would buy the low mileage truck but I;m differant in what I want in a truck. The SCa is an issue but nothing you can't fix even if the motor needs replacing because of cavitation issues.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The coolant is important but even with the strips it could be sca's from napa or fleetguard. You can check for oil in the cooling coolant or coolant in the oil. check the engine from underneath is also a good precaution. You can also pull the oil cap and see how much blowby is has although I'm not very concerned for that. I bought mine from a dealer and had to build it back since then dome times it seems all is good when You are buying it but it all comes to surface on the first trip :rolleyes: guess how I know.

Low miles is a good thing as long as it was not a company truck, I'd go manual if possible.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rust RUST RUST

When I sold my 93 it had just started to rust through the wheel wells behind the front tires. Now two years later, I saw it, the bed has been replaced, the fenders are replaced, the cab had rust all over it, and now it's all in primer.

Look around the wheel wells, the rad supports mounts, rocker panels, rear leaf spring perches.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I am off to look!

Thanks particularly for ther reminder of rust at the radiator core support. I had totally spaced on that---in spite of being at the IDI weekend, and watching one truck where the entire core support was hanging from the fender.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oh ya LOL.....I forgot to look where you live. So yes I would agree rust is a big issue to look at over there. Sorry I spaced on that one, we dont have to worry much about that over here :D

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Well I am back.
Two trucks, both OK, sort of, but neither " WOWed" me. A little showmanship to clean up one truck, and charge the batteries so it would start might have helped truck #1. Too many little trim items missing or broken, makes the low mileage hard to believe. Exactly HOW do you break of the chrome surround for the ignition key?
Truck #2 had a lot of new part, started and sounded good, but rode very hard, and had the beginnings of rust at the cab supports, and rear half of the frame and rear spring hangers. Also a repaint that was OK, but not like a factory job.

Neither truck showed ANY traces of SCA on the test strips I just bought.

The bright spot is that the exercise MAY have given me the desire to pull my engine to see the cause of the air bubbles in the oil.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
About the rust.....make sure you look at the springs & hangers.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2671333350103447628PaLbzf]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2839284920103447628oIWjrP]
[/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2301346770103447628EepTZl]
[/URL]

& I drove it that way till about 2 months ago. That included hauling firewood in the winter. That hanger snapped in half with my bare hands when I got to bending it after I got it off the truck.