Idle Validation Voltage

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the voltage at the idle validation switch and is it sufficient to power the coil on a relay and signal the ECM?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well....It recieves a 5 volt reference on the Brown/White ---- ground circuit on the Black/White wire. It also sends a .9 volt to 4.5 volt signal on the Green/White wire to the PCM to indicate throttle position.

The IVS is a normally closed switch. It has 2 wires, 1 is a Brown, a fused battery voltage wire , the other is Red/Orange and goes to the PCM to confirm pedal position. When the pedal is in the idle position the Brown wire at the IVS is battery voltage and the Red/Orange wire is 0 volts.

As pedal travel
increases to approximately 1.3 volts as indicated on the Green/White wire at the AP sensor[or TPS], the voltage on the Red/Orange wire should increase to battery voltage to indicate acceleration.

and this for...:popcorn :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. So that explains why at least on my truck, there is a "hole" between some minimum throttle setting and idle. I assume this is a failsafe device, so that if the pot shorts out or something, that as long as the switch is working, you won't just rev away.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:thumbsup: just sou know....using the EBPV that way will only give the desired result at 3k rpms and above....I tried that and couldn't justify leaving it operational..

If memory serves, Towkitty tried to warn me.

But hey , if it works works for you then great!

I used Swamp Donkeys
Just click how to's...then click engine- exhaust brake

Hope this helps :cheers:

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the general idea, but tweaked some of the ideas to suit me. First, no brake light control, I don't want to press on the brake to activate the exhaust brake. Second, I have it wired through a relay so the exhaust brake is only one during no fuel, just like a jake brake in a big truck. Plus I have an illuminated switch that only comes on when the exhaust brake is working. Only a load going downhill will tell.;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet:thumbsup::thumbsup: