IDI to the rescue

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife had some key issues with her Sienna while she was at work. You gotta love it when the programmed key stops working to start the van. Tow was gonna cost $100 so after work I hooked up the trailer and headed out.
Got to the parking lot and pushed the Sienna into place.
You must be registered for see images attach

I broke out the come along and a tow strap. Took 3 cycles of shortening the tow strap etc to get it on the trailer. Pretty tight fit.

Got it all loaded up and dropped it at the Dealer. Pulled without issue and seemed happy doing it. Figured it out. Trailer and Sienna is about 6000lbs, total weigh of 12500lbs.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a very confident team of 3!! Great Job, a sleeper & tow dog.

Rick

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a very confident team of 3!! Great Job, a sleeper & tow dog.

Rick

Yep. With the family I am really liking the versatility that the van provides......even if it is a little more difficult to work on and aftermarket is limited. It just means that if I want to mod it I have to build the mod instead of buy it.

I will say that if I was going to tow in the mountains or substantially more weight I would want a turbo or 4.10's or both. It pulled fine, but accelerating onto the highway was going up a hill from about 20mph to 65mph. That along with the substantial headwind meant it didn't get up to 65mph as quickly as it could have. Not especially slow, just not fast and required blowing a little black smoke.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that if I was going to tow in the mountains or substantially more weight I would want a turbo or 4.10's or both. It pulled fine, but accelerating onto the highway was going up a hill from about 20mph to 65mph. That along with the substantial headwind meant it didn't get up to 65mph as quickly as it could have. Not especially slow, just not fast and required blowing a little black smoke.

I remember the N/A days, lots of noise, RPMs, a little smoke and the speedo barely moved. with a turbo its more like some noise less RPMs and the same amount of smoke but your speed increases much quicker.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember the N/A days, lots of noise, RPMs, a little smoke and the speedo barely moved. with a turbo its more like some noise less RPMs and the same amount of smoke but your speed increases much quicker.

My combo isnt the best for towing. NA+Power Robbing c6+3.54 gears. Unless i swap transmissions i don't want to change gears due to hwy rpms. So it's either a turbo or a trans/gear swap........just have to decide which to do first.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the c6 give her more air get an under over drive

I have a DNE2 overdrive already. If i were to install an e4or/4r100 along with my DNE2 i could run 4.10s, or even 4.56s, and still have lower hwy cruising rpms than i have now.

Even with that being said, a turbo would probably be my first step. The $2000 price tag for a hypermax kit is a little hard to swallow though. Maybe i will get lucky and find a used van kit, but they are definitly rare.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with that being said, a turbo would probably be my first step. The $2000 price tag for a hypermax kit is a little hard to swallow though. Maybe i will get lucky and find a used van kit, but they are definitly rare.

the banks kit I have on my truck will be getting replaced soon if you are interested. I don't know if the f-series kits will fit on the e-series anyway.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the banks kit I have on my truck will be getting replaced soon if you are interested. I don't know if the f-series kits will fit on the e-series anyway.

Thanks for the offer, but the truck kits are not compatable with the vans. Packaging, piping etc are completely different.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, I have to ask.
how did you get the van out of park?

you can buy a welder, piping, and turbo for 2k.
then simply make your own kit.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I have to ask.
how did you get the van out of park?

you can buy a welder, piping, and turbo for 2k.
then simply make your own kit.

The key is chipped and programmed in the vans computer. We had the computer replaced a little while ago and the shop programmed the key they had, but we didnt think about our backup keys. My wife lost her key. The backup keys we had would open the door and could turn the ignition, but not start it......so we could turn it to the on position and put it in neutral.

I had gone back and forth about fabing up a custom kit. When it actually gets to turbo time i will decide for sure. What i would really like is to find a used one that someone is willing to part with. We will see when the time comes.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think a remote mount turbo might be the way to go on a van. It's got to be small to fit up there anyway so remote mounting might be as good an option.

Also, go to harbor frieght and pick yourself up one of the ATV winch. $50 with coupon or less. Money so well spent. It will drag my truck up in the garage and through the yard. If you double the line up it would pull a rolling vehicle up on a trailer no sweat. Mine paid for itself in one use and with some wing nuts it will dismount and fit in a tool box. Good excuse to run a power connector out to the back of the van too.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think a remote mount turbo might be the way to go on a van. It's got to be small to fit up there anyway so remote mounting might be as good an option.

If i made a custom kit, this is what i would do. There is room under the passanger seat floor for the turbo that would put it close to the manifolds to prevent lag. If i relocated 1 of my starting batteries to the drivers side frame rail it would give room for the nitake piping and maybe an intercooler. I ditched the mechanical fuelpump for an electric, so i could reinstall the mechanical one and use it for the scavanger pump for the turbo oil.

The manifold to turbo piping would be short so there wouldnt be the lag that you usually get with a remote mount. The intake piping from the turbo to the intake would be a little long, but not much more than the trucks that run intercoolers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online