IDI to Powerstroke

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to the PSD most people are intimidated by the electronics.
In reality a PSD is no harder to work on than a IDI. Somtimes they can be easier. Plug in AE, then fix it.
Most times you can get away with some basic diesel engine skills to fix them. No fancy scanners ect.

YES!!! love my IDI, but for towing sucks anymore. When for under $1000 you can have 300-350 rwhp, that I can't say no to!

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very interested to see progress pics on this swap! I just bought a '90 with a PSD in it n goin to pick it up this wednesday...

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little slow getting out there for photos and he is moving along a lot fast then I thought.
He pulled the dash out of the PS, easier than pulling the wiring. He has already installed the 95 (PS) into the 93. This swap required removing the interior, everything except the headliner.
Believe I'll be helping with the PS install this weekend after he gets the fuel lines, switch to engine, and swapped in the PS wiring.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap your in richland!?! what yard is doing this for you!!! Im in Prosser

It's not a yard, it's a friend doing it for another friend. The end result is gets more of a "turn the key and go" setup and the guy doing the work gets parts he needs for his cummins swap.

Rxracer

Reaction score
It's not a yard, it's a friend doing it for another friend. The end result is gets more of a "turn the key and go" setup and the guy doing the work gets parts he needs for his cummins swap.

My bro and i did a cummins swap in his 85 ford CC, whats your buddy doing the cummins swap into? BTW what turbo kit did you have on your IDI? Im looking for an 093 kit cause i dont like my 088 that much.
Rob

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bro and i did a cummins swap in his 85 ford CC, whats your buddy doing the cummins swap into? BTW what turbo kit did you have on your IDI? Im looking for an 093 kit cause i dont like my 088 that much.
Rob

It will be a 93 Ford CC 4x4. He has all the big parts, Cummins, NV4500, Ford 205, and a GearVendor but needs a few oddball parts like the cruise control parts.
The IDI has what I believe is 093 ATS setup but that will probably end up on my truck, along with the head studs, and torquer cam. I have a stock Ford setup with the smaller exhaust housing.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
92 Truck in the shop:
Bed was removed for fuel tank problems. Turns out only the lines from the tank switch to the PS was needed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grey dash out of the PS. With the blue interior it's actually kind of hard to tell it's a different color.

PS in the 92.

As of today, the truck fires up and runs but still has small things to change out.
The 92 front core support was used but the battery trays were swapped out, basically they mount extra stuff like windshield washer tank and few other things.
The 3" body lift is causing problems with the lower radiator hose.
The A/C dryer was changed out, lines come in just a little different angle.
All the wiring from the bed forward was swapped out, interior, engine bay, and think he said was even doing the trans wires.

Last edited:

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you noticed, there is a F-450 brake master cylinder, IIRC it bolted up with a little filing of the holes.
Ford put a pressure sensor for the cruise control cancel in the MC and at first thought the MC was going to be swapped to the PS's. Since the PS is all electronic the swap isn't needed, besides it was a recall thing anyways. The pressure sensor is being by-passed with a solenoid run off the brake switch to cancel the cruise.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Interesting. I almost pulled the 6.9 out of my Bronco to install a 95 PSD. I didn't because the engine didn't run well, probably needed to be rebuilt, I would have kept my zf trans and would have needed a flywheel and clutch kit, and the owner thought the turbo needed to be rebuilt. For the cost of all that, I could have just bought a good truck with a PSD if I really wanted one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online