IDI On the side of the road again!!

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i was heading to a concert tonight and on the way the some thing happened and I have no idea what or how. I lost throttel respons, i really had to give it gas to keep it going and maintain speed like It was being starved for fuel, then somethig started ticking/nocking, temp gauge started to climb, and I was getting a lot of smoke out of the air box/crd. I put it in neautural and coasted to the side of the road, one i let off the gas the engine died. I tried starting it again and my batteries are abiut dead. How does a mechanical engine failure and batteries tie in to cause this? I have been driving it for days and this just happened tonight. The only difference is the lights were on lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds head gasket/cracked block related.

The "batteries about dead" is the engine hydrolocking/broken(bent) rods (pistons).

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can that be if it runs fine for the last few day then it does this? The batteries show low on volts and i have put new head gaskets on it?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's trying to lock up, it'll drain the batteries fast.

Try seeing how it cranks with all glowplugs removed.

Plenty of engines go out like that. Fine one second, then boom.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason im not sure if that is it is because i only cranked it 2 timesafter it died for about 3-4 seconds a peace and after trsting the batteries they only had a few volts in them!?!? Even if they were working super hard to turn a locked engine i have trouble believing they would drop that low that fast. If it wasnt for that I would thing rod for sure

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to dianose it quick, there's another thread on here with Uhaul reman'd engines going for $1300 with free shipping!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've seen if it person two times.

Not saying that's for sure what's wrong, just saying that's what it sounds like to me.

Try spinning the engine from the crankshaft pulley bolt.