idi injectors

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys its me again.. i never could figure out the difference between code g and code bb injectors...... some guys say code bb are bad for the motor and some guys say the add more power? can any one enlighten me on this?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bb's are fine for your engine they give you the best power out of all the diffrent injector codes turbo or na it dosent matter.
I think .... the g codes were put out either for emissions or the turbo charged engines idk ?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bb's are fine an are better for your setup unless you have a 5,000 series injection pump. The 5 series is for na/turbo trucks 93/94 which send a different pulse you can run g codes with that pump they have a bigger needle an bigger bore in the body an lil bigger tip for the needle. They do give more fuel flow than the bb's with The 5,000 series pump. I have the bb's in my truck an they work well an there is dyno numbers to prove it on OB. I will be trying the g codes when I rebuild my pump in my na/93 truck an adding a turbo I will report the feed back. But the bb's are honestly good I just put bb's an a turbo cal on a 86 6.9 at my house who was struggling to see 3psi boost. now the truck is seeing 10psi an chirps the tires I cant wait to see my customers face when he punches it! It really moves along you will be happy you changed them they loose alot of performance with age an miles this truck has 110,000 miles an ran like a sick dog now its running like a rapped ape lol.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BB's are fine for NA or turbo...either or, considered by most to be the best spray/and flow for our engines.

G's are a emmision based injector on the turbo engine, that helped along with other mods to cripple that engine when the PS was being released as well.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think they even make G code anymore, and you sure as hell don't want rebuilt ones. BB is it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have seen new "G" codes offered on evilbay but... Who really knows if they are really new or not.. I ran two sets of them.. they were at best a lack luster injecter. The last set had about 5000 niles on them when I installed a set of BB codes from typ4... What a wild ride I got from the jumpstart. Even with a set of 3.55 gears that truck really moved the freight... Its Bb codes and nothing else..
BTW.... Whom ever told you that information about the G and Bb codes is smoking something good. They are not bad for these engines....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BB's are fine for NA or turbo...either or, considered by most to be the best spray/and flow for our engines.

G's are a emmision based injector on the turbo engine, that helped along with other mods to cripple that engine when the PS was being released as well.

i just put a fresh set of G codes in mine...........it feels anything but crippled lol.
(this isn't to say factory E codes or BB's wouldn't worked just as well.)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just put a fresh set of G codes in mine...........it feels anything but crippled lol.
(this isn't to say factory E codes or BB's wouldn't worked just as well.)

My point is FORD did not expend $$$ making the one year only turbo engine perform all that much better. stock ratings are a meager 5HP gain..ya 185 up to 190 HP....BIG DEAL...driveability improved though..

The squashed down pipe and restrictive outlet on the turbo all crippled that engine from the get go, just as emission code injectors are not built for absolute power!....

That was my point..Ford was not about to spend big when the Powerstroke was coming out as the turbo IDI was being phased out.

A new set of G coeds likely perform much better than an old worn set of injectors. Thus the improvement noted over old ones.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idi turbo was detuned by ford they had ats weld dots in the turbo so it would not reach full spool so that the truck had 15% less power than the 460 because that was there bread an butter an gas prices were not a concern at the time. Also was detuned for the upcoming powerstroke. If you fixed the crushed turbo pipe an fixed the turbo it had more power than the first gen an the 460. I will try an post a write up on the turbo engine. The engine was made for 18 months an had many differences oil cooler an much much more. They do have some corks but there really good motors an I like the changes that were made.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
agreed.
disagree however about G codes crippling performance in my personal experience is all.
this isn't to claim E or BB wouldn't have performed just as well.

the 94.5 - '97 psd engines suffered from the flattened out DP's as well.
clearly ford figured it was more cost effective to flatten a pipe rather than alter all the diesel cabs.it was a shame.but you know what they say; money talks lol.

Last edited:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been told a g code will cripple your performance when not being ran with the correct ip (5) series.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have been told a g code will cripple your performance when not being ran with the correct ip (5) series.

I have run them with several different pumps, including the factory turbo pump and performance was always good.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
im still running my reman n/a ip from U-haul with the G codes.
iv got the banks turbo,so she really moves this truck good anyway.
i can't complain about the performance at all.it's not my old mans 6.4l psd but she really does good.
i do plan on getting the turbo ip however.just finding someone who will take an n/a as a core replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online