I need some tune up advise

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I took my truck (the 94) to the Ford store to get the code read when the trans went into limp mode. ( tach sensor - no big deal) The mech. that drove it said it needs a tune up bad! Seemed OK to me untill then. He said it "bogs", anyway now it feels underpowered to me> AHH! the power of suggestion!
Anyway, I have'nt done any thing to the engine since I bought it from Tim (IDIeselman). So I guess it's been a progressive decline in power & I just didn't notice. He also mentioned "it runs terrible".
So, with all the talent available here (you guys), where do I start ?
What sould I do first? By the way, the fuel mileage SUCKS! I use it primarilly to tow the backhoe etc.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chuck

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your fuel system is where I would start. If you have access to a timing meter, get it timed, sounds like its running a little retarted. Might wanna pull the injectors and get them pop and spray tested, rebuild or replace if needed. Then depending on how old the IP is, might wanna replace it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin is right the fuel system is where you need to look, I'll bet you're running a bit retarded and maybe have a weepy injector or two or 7...you know. If you can get someone with a timing meter to look at it and put it at 1-2*ATDC with the luminosity or 8.5 BTDC with the pulse method that would help a lot. A new pump and injectors would cost around 300-400 for the pump and maybe 200 or more for injectors, could be a bit less. Pensacola Diesel is selling them pretty cheap. You need G codes unless you replace the pump as well then I think it doesn't make a bit of difference what code you use as long as they match.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This mechanic wasn't by any chance mentally thinking powerstroke and comparing from there ? The folks that were weaned on computer controlled diesels have a bad habit of thinking IDI diesels that are running fine, are all out of whack. Real diesels rattle :D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Depending on mileage, replace fuel filter, injectors, time pump, use plenty of additive, improve air intake if necessary.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the guy drives an IDI every day, I wouldn't take his word for it. Do you know any other board members in your area? You need a second opinion. I'm not saying you wouldn't benefit from a fuel system tune up (there is a reason I keep that link in my sig), but I wouldn't let Joe Smoe run your life. LOL.