I need an intake hat for my Banks non-gated sidewinder

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fed up with having to remove that stupid ass filter housing/intake hat piece of scrap aluminum that Banks used, just to check everything on the motor and play with the fuel screw. So, anyone know which intake hats will fit with the large turbine on my Banks? Or does anyone custom make one for it? Thanks.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 - have you by chance called Hypermax? The hats on their kits look like they just might do the trick.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Type4 makes one that works perfect for intercoolers. I have one sitting in my room and it looks amazing and of high quality.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fed up with having to remove that stupid ass filter housing/intake hat piece of scrap aluminum that Banks used, just to check everything on the motor and play with the fuel screw. So, anyone know which intake hats will fit with the large turbine on my Banks? Or does anyone custom make one for it? Thanks.
you good at hacking up metal?
if you can figure out which parts to hack off with a saw and grinder, you can make your own. it's not that terribly difficult but it sure will look ugly.:eek:

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you good at hacking up metal?
if you can figure out which parts to hack off with a saw and grinder, you can make your own. it's not that terribly difficult but it sure will look ugly.:eek:

I've thought about it, trust me. But in the end, I don't want the ugliness which you refer to.

Also, I don't think the Hypermax hat will work, since the Banks turbine comes out over the intake. I've seen pics of Russ' setup, but also feel the turbine will interfere.

Guess I will have to yank that damn thing off tomorrow and take some measurements, snap a few pics, and go from there.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
maybe you could take the hypermax hat or possibly an ats hat, turn it around from the turbo and make a tube that runs from the turbo to the hat kinda like the powerstroke intercooler bypass tubes, understand what im trying to say or do i need to try to explain it better? im not good at explaining things,

Or you could always make your own hat

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well keep us posted on this because I really hate the box also. I am really considering about cutting the filter part off. You can make it look pretty good with a grinder and a buffing wheel in the end HAHA

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I assume you must have the one piece setup. I have the old Banks kit but my big bulky 13 bolts to get the lid off filter box is seperate from the intake hat.
I too would like to eventually do something different with mine, just not sure how to do it yet.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you must have the one piece setup. I have the old Banks kit but my big bulky 13 bolts to get the lid off filter box is seperate from the intake hat.
I too would like to eventually do something different with mine, just not sure how to do it yet.

The lid for mine has 8 bolts, then the long single bolt inside holds the whole thing to the center of the intake.

What was their thought process on having the unfiltered air enter the center of the filter, and the clean air then be drawn into to the turbo from the outer ring? Inefficiency at it's best right there.

I'm seriously contemplating hacking up the box, but would like to see a pic or two before I go crazy on it. Anyone know where to find a pic, or have one to show?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you seen an ats hat? They seam to be the best for intercooler stuff

I've seen the ATS hat, and I believe that 65sixbanger posted a pic awhile back that showed the interference between it and the HUGE turbine on these turbos.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, In fact i have never seen anybody do it. i just thought about doing it one day and it looks like yall did too. Mine only has 8 bolts also. I wonder if the whistle will be any louder with a bigger filter like the BHAF. I think the best way to do this may be using a cut-off wheel but I dont for sure.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran my truck without the intake on it after replacing the return lines and checking for leaks. Revved it quite a few times also, got the 'charger just a humming, and it even whistled at idle. I guarantee these old Banks turbo's would whistle like crazy with an open filter in lines with the BHAF.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know it whistles alot right now because i would drive around with the back window open so the stack is right there in my hear haha. I love it, cant imagine what it will be with that on there.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lid for mine has 8 bolts, then the long single bolt inside holds the whole thing to the center of the intake.

What was their thought process on having the unfiltered air enter the center of the filter, and the clean air then be drawn into to the turbo from the outer ring? Inefficiency at it's best right there.

I'm seriously contemplating hacking up the box, but would like to see a pic or two before I go crazy on it. Anyone know where to find a pic, or have one to show?

I'm sorry, I screwed up. Mine only has 8 bolts also. I posted that last one in a hurry and wasnt thinkin right.:confused.
Mine has two bolts that holds the box down to the intake hat, so I guess it is different than yours.
I ran mine around the block recently with the air cleaner off and boy what a power difference!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online