i know, theres other posts out there, BEST N/A muffler?

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Interesting... The PO straight piped my '93 before I bought it. It is obnoxiously loud if I beat on it other than that I don't notice too much... I am thinking now though a muffler might give me some more bottom end... And less of the clacking sound on the top!

In Ohio Diesels trucks are pretty much exempt from most regs... As long as it isn't so loud that it ****** of a cop or your neighbors!

EricW

my $h!t is stuff
Reaction score
Check CL for mufflers, also I know I've done pretty good with mufflers on ebay...

Currently have a 40 Series on mine, pretty mellow till the upper end of the RPMs, only a temp situation but it sounds pretty damn good IMHO, doesn't sound like a FM unless I'm running next to a building then I hear that familiar sound...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
i want some kind of muffler, plus the exhaust shop can only do up to 3".

i've heard of but never heard the super 44... it's prob like $150 a muffler though right? :puke: any sound clips??

hmm... seems all i ever hear of is flowmaster and glass pack, no one experimented eh? ...i had a magnaflow on my ranger i didn't like it.. :rolleyes:

-Jon

I run a welded 3" in/out from Summit. They were like $30.00. I have the 3" downpipe from Airjet and then a 4" square crossbox with 3" stacks. It is very deep, very throaty, quiet to drive unless you want it to make noise. Even then, it's not unbearable and continues to sound deep and throaty. I had dual 2" on it with glass packs when I got it and HATED it, cackled like a hen laying 3 eggs at once!

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a big ass 3" RV muffler on my truck before i put the turbo on. kept it nice and quite but still had a little bit of rumble. when i went turbo it dissapeared though. I think on a NA diesel all the same rules apply that would on a gas engine except for the soot, it will plug up anything that has packing in a heartbeat.

I have the dynomax race bullets on my supercharged f150 with the 4 factory cats 2.5" duals and an x pipe its got a nice growl until you hammer it then you better have ear plugs.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
do n/a engines need backpressure to run or is it bad for the truck to be straight piped? i dont mean to hijack but im looking at this thread with great interest because i need to get a new exhaust b/c the stock one from napa sounds like hell.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
do n/a engines need backpressure to run or is it bad for the truck to be straight piped? i dont mean to hijack but im looking at this thread with great interest because i need to get a new exhaust b/c the stock one from napa sounds like hell.

Nope, huge misconception, neither gas nor diesel need backpressure to run nor do any of them run better with backpressure, in fact, the exact opposite is true. The quicker you can get the burnt exhaust gasses out of the engine and to atmosphere, the better!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
IMO Flowmasters sound like ass on diesels. I ran a genuine Cherry Bomb GP muffler on My 85 for 2 summers, around 40K miles. The thing didn't look any different from the day I put it on. 'Cept for the soot. Absolutely NO signs of burning out the packing. It sounded great.

If Your looking for an economical, good sounding system. Get a pair of 2.5" GENUINE Cherry Bombs. You wont be disappointed.

And You'll need tail pipes. They don't sound as well just dumping under the truck.

You won't lose any low end grunt on a straight thru exhaust. Is a big misnomer. On gassers, it can happen. But it's usually an effect of not designing things properly. Cam, exhaust diameter, etc. etc.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
watch this video its not but like 40 seconds, at the end i rev it up at the tail pipe, i love the sound of my flowmaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPpAPyVB9X0

And this was after i got back from thr high rpm run, as you can see the engine is running perfect, minus the really high idle, which i already fixed, and notice absolutely no blow by

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
how come when i took off the 2 1/4" straight pipe to-4" stacks, then left 1 foot of 2 1/4" then ran 5" straight pipe, it feels "sluggish" on the bottom more??? :dunno:confused:cookoo

i was going to do dual 3" SHORT glass packs but after the 250 lost te bottom ike that i as thinking some backpressure would help the scout... :confused:

i checked out that moroso spiral flow, lotsa mixed reviews. cookoo

Thanks,
-Jon

mj05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
watch this video its not but like 40 seconds, at the end i rev it up at the tail pipe, i love the sound of my flowmaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPpAPyVB9X0

And this was after i got back from thr high rpm run, as you can see the engine is running perfect, minus the really high idle, which i already fixed, and notice absolutely no blow by

sounded good davey!;Sweet Just wish I could've heard more at the pipe. Maybe re-do since the idle is fixed? :thumbsup:

Leviathan

Reaction score
Whats the big deal with glasspacks? I've got 2 thrush mufflers (no cats, dual pipes) on my truck and its just loud enough to get some attention but nothing that's gonna wake up the neighbors. Glasspacks are to the point of being obnoxious unless they are done right. I say get good quality glasspacks if you are worried about inspection, otherwise just run it open and hell to anyone who gets up your nose.