i have an idea, is it even possible

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay ive been trying to come up with another way to add power to my idi. i thought turbo and then maybe twin turbo.

and going way out there with this, is it possible or impossible on this engine, or just plain period.

what about a root style supercharger on a custom intake, running to twin supercharger. Im thinking air compressed at super charger. compressed air then travels either splits to the same radius turbos compressing the air even more. or a primary and secondary turbo setup also compressing the air more than the super charger

then flowing through a intercooler. to the engine. radiator would haft to be moved. i have an idea for that also.

but to take it a step even farther. add power adders like NOs and propane, and water **** injection.

now would nos and propane work on a mechanical engine. as nos is going to increase air vs fuel at wot could it be tuned to accomdate that.

this is just my idea on adding a unique source of power.

could it be done?

1994IDI

Reaction score
The answers to most of your questions are in the archives. I know we've went over most of this stuff. We have several turbo gurus that will chime in with your answers though.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Of course it's possible! ...And NOS and propane work fine on an IDI... Just start a savings account now for rebuilds and/or new engines...;Sweet:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo--Moose IP--Moose injectors--Intercooler--Hypermax Air Intake--Three inch down pipe--Four inch exhaust--Muffler delete--Port the heads--Open the precup port--Deck the heads--Shave the pistons--Coat the pistons--Forged Rods to go with the new pistons--Arp studs--NOS or Propane--Large bank account. Then you have 10,000 HP for a quarter mile. Then start all over again. Forgot about the parachute for stopping.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay ive been trying to come up with another way to add power to my idi. i thought turbo and then maybe twin turbo.

and going way out there with this, is it possible or impossible on this engine, or just plain period.
possible, most dont bother with twins because the trucks are their DD's. Most go single turbo

what about a root style supercharger on a custom intake, running to twin supercharger. Im thinking air compressed at super charger. compressed air then travels either splits to the same radius turbos compressing the air even more. or a primary and secondary turbo setup also compressing the air more than the super charger
Theres also belt driven supers that would be easier to mount and run, air isnt the problem its the top end. Theres talks of a head gasket that uses firerings or so that should hold up better. Studs would otherwise be required... I'd run both LOL. One guy had a roots on his idi and I heard it was mostly looks :rolleyes:

but to take it a step even farther. add power adders like NOs and propane, and water **** injection.

now would nos and propane work on a mechanical engine. as nos is going to increase air vs fuel at wot could it be tuned to accomdate that.
Drugging it up is fine, but your DB2 wont be able to keep up. Best option cost-wise is super moose pump it might be able to flow that much. Many have maxxed the fuel screw on a stock db2 with a average turbo

It is possible, no one here has the money to do it though. These trucks are cheap and durable with good torque. No one wants an unreliable work horse, so until we get people with more money willing to try it then it wont happen. Most people with money just jump out of the idi and go to a stroke or cummins and do the tried and true mods

Propane works great and is simple for short bursts of power, just dont overdo it. A small super and turbo wokring together should elminate turbo lag for off-the-line boost but then the psi's will change with load as well when the turbo kicks in so it adds some complexity. just gotta eliminate the weak spots... an old tired idi isn't a great candidate