I found this......

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 VW Jetta..... Black on Black cloth... 68,000 miles... Auto.. Cold weather package.... Alum rims.. New Mich Tires.... Looks nice... Looks like it has never been waxed.... Sunroof....

He is asking 12,000 but I am thinking more around 10,000....

What do you guys think.... Any issues with the 01s...... or autos.... I plan to do some power adding.... So anything else to look for....

And Hows the price....

Thanks...

Max Power

Reaction score
The auto won't get nearly as good of fuel mileage as a stick.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why this guy says he is selling it.. He has an 03 stick in the garage....... But the wife likes the auto...... The only stick she ever liked was out Jeep???/

:moon:

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good deal for 10,000, still consider it for 11,000. The auto will still get you around 40 to 45 mpg on highway depending upon your inj. pump timing. They like to be a little advanced also.

Check out if the timing belt was changed. If not, that will have to be done asap. 60,000 miles is the change interval for the old style belt (they now have an 80,000 mile belt but not on the 2001). Could use that as a bargaining point. About 400-500 bucks at the dealer, about 150 to 175 if you do it yourself but will need the computor software and data cable (***-com) in order to change it and check the timing. Plus the specialty tools to do the job.

Not a hard job, just gotta have the tools and know the procedure. At least it's something to consider while trying to make a decision. Hope this helps, Kevin

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr Fix it.... He was willing to move a little below 10,000. I have yet to go back... Got a new quad, and it has been taking up my time... By late winter he will want to move more, im sure... I will check the belt... I never knew that...

Brian

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Don't take anybodies word for it either on the belt. Unless they can produce a receipt, and you look at the belt, there is no freakin way I would take there word for it. Problem is, if the belt snaps, then the engine is toast. Your talking new head, valves, piston, bent conn. rods, the works.

The engine is designed so the that if it comes out of time the pistons will slam into the valves. Only enough clearance when the valves are closed. If things start hitting, then bye bye. No if and or buts, it will destroy the engine.

VW came out with an 80,000 mile belt in I think 2003, and you can use it as a replacement, but I think the tensioner is different also. The tensioner gets replaced with every belt change so getting the right one is no biggie if bought at the same time. The belt rollers should be checked (bearings), but usually don't need to be replaced at every belt change, usually every other unless problem is found.

Also some engine mount bolts that get removed during the belt change process need to be REPLACED. If not, they will break and your engin WILL fall out! Yes, I said fall out!

Do I have ya scared? Not trying to, sounds spookier than it is. Check out this site: www.tdiclub.com It will give you an education on the tdi motor. Check out the FAQ section at the top of the page. The info will save you ton of money, and will help you educate yourself before you purchase (give you things to look for).

The TDI is a little tricky, but if you know of all the stuff to check, or be aware of, then it's not a problem.

Hope this helps a little, Kevin

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, and I was going to buy this to pile on miles and not worry about it... The guy has been giving me trouble lately when I ask questions so I have been writting him off... why not a timing chain?

sinneD

Reaction score
iirc, the timing belt interval is upped to 100k with manual, 80k with auto on account of the the extra forces on the pump with latest generation of parts.
its not the belt that was really changed to get this upgrade, its the tensioner.

as far as belt vs. chain or gear, its an economy of scale thing. the us gets bottom of the barrel motors anyhow. europe gets v-6 and v-10 tdi's with gear drives!

look at tdiclub.com for links on blet change info. there is a grass roots movement for regional tb changes, cd rom based how-to video, etc...

tdiclub gtg prices are on the order of $250 for parts and another $250 for tech kiddie. stealership price is well over $1500 for TB change :(!

on another note, if you look at a 04+ car. with the PD, i would be VERY critical of the oil change history. I would have less reservation about buying an ALH motor. you can also do more mods to the ALH motors (chips, egr, turbo, etc..

dennis

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Used VW's:

Let's see:
Water pumps, Timing Chains, Belts, Exhaust Manifolds, Abused intercoolers and Cracked Blocks.

The water pump is simple but long process to change yourself. The other stuff, usually means time for a shop - but they have to know what they are doing. I've had VW shops screw things up so bad as I have also with my Dodge - so, if you find a good tech or mechanic follow him or her around.