Hydroboost on CL cheap!! Maryland near PA

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will that unit work in a 1985 truck or should I find one closer to the correct year?
I recall there being a difference between '99+ and '97 down hydroboost units, but I'm not sure what the difference is, nor how easy it is to retrofit one for a later truck onto an earlier truck. I would suggest anyone who's considering this get that question answered before pulling the trigger...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd guess the later ones wouldn't bolt up to the same 4 square pattern. Everything else on them is metric so I'm better they changed those measurements too.....

Now how much of a pain it would be is another question..... try it and find out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will that unit work in a 1985 truck or should I find one closer to the correct year?
YES
BUT...BUT...you'll be fabbing/modding the mount plate with the 4 studs to relocate to the same pattern as your truck. You will also need to custom create some HI pressure lines!

I recall there being a difference between '99+ and '97 down hydroboost units, but I'm not sure what the difference is, nor how easy it is to retrofit one for a later truck onto an earlier truck. I would suggest anyone who's considering this get that question answered before pulling the trigger...
Bolt pattern as mentioned above, and the HI pressure lines are metric threaded instead of SAE
I'd guess the later ones wouldn't bolt up to the same 4 square pattern. Everything else on them is metric so I'm better they changed those measurements too.....

Now how much of a pain it would be is another question..... try it and find out.
You are correct on both parts....

I had to weld up the holes for the studs..AFTER pounding out the studs, then grind flush, then redrill the holes to the correct pattern.

Hope this helps out enough...

JM2CW

Al

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
I found the pushrod on that C'List hydroboost to be longer than the pushrod on my stock '92 vacuum booster. I welded up a spacer to move the hydroboost to where it worked without cutting the pushrod. Since I had to make bolt flanges for both sides of my spacer I delt with the different bolt patterns there. I did not have issues with the fittings - IIRC we ordered the hydroboost P/S lines for a '92 F450/Superduty truck and the fittings screwed right in. Had to tweak the bends a little though. The stock '92 brake master cylinder bolted up and worked fine...but it got replaced with a slightly larger bore master cylinder later. This mod was well worth the effort IMHO.

The short answer to stumiister: it is not a direct bolt in but with a little work that hydroboost unit can be made to work with your '85.

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online