Hydra boost question

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hydra boost is leaking on my 450.
I have a new one coming Monday from ford.
My question is .......
Anything I should know about changing it?.??
Tips??
Do I need to bleed it in any way?.
Never delt with hydra boost before.

Thanks
John

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe you bleed it just like you would for power steering.
Good time to flush the system and install a filter and possibly a cooler.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Exactly whats leaking. Is it the master cylinder or the hydroboost pressure item that makes the power brak feeling.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly whats leaking. Is it the master cylinder or the hydroboost pressure item that makes the power brak feeling.

Leaking inside the cab and once I park, it leaves a puddle under we're the driver side .
Looks like it's coming from around the small beer can looking thing area....
Brakes and steering all seem good though..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok, thats an easy replacement. Just remove the lines and the master cylinder. Then remove the hydroboost from the firewall. No need to bleed the master cylinder if you leave it connected to the brake lines.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, thats an easy replacement. Just remove the lines and the master cylinder. Then remove the hydroboost from the firewall. No need to bleed the master cylinder if you leave it connected to the brake lines.

That's what I was hoping...
What fluid will I need to add?
I'm guessing to the power steering pump?
Thanks.
John

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes, to the power steering pump.
Just be careful with the brake master cylinder, so you don't kink or break a line.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Personally I have always used trans fluid for power steering fluid. Done this for over 40 years with never a problem. some insist on using only actual power steering fluid in the power steering. I see it as an expence not warranted or proven effective at doing anything special.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what's in there already for fluid? I've always used ATF, but I would be cautious mixing fluids if it's already got PS fluid or something else in there. Wouldn't worry too much about it, but it is something to be aware of - not all fluids play well together.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a ps fluid and trans. Mix.....
I just topped it off with mercon.
Tried turning all the way right and all the way left to bleed out any air.
Drove it about 8 miles seems fine but wines like its low..
Any suggestions?
Thanks
John

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
Lift the front end off the ground, Start truck & then proceede to turning wheel back and forth holding for about 5 sec.. then turn oppesite direction and repeat - your experiencing air cavitation ... once you have dome this a few times ..

Then start turning with foot on brakes ( dont have to push the brake pedal super hard ) , Firm pressure while turning and holding... do this a few times and then allow to run undisturbed for 10 min... turn off and allow the truck to sit over night and cool ( this usually allows the air cavitated fluid to escape to the resivore ) ... should be fine after doing this ( its what i do with Buses and motorhomes ) ..
Keep posted ..

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a power steering pump replacement and had a hell of a time getting hydro boost to work, until I bled and flushed the hydro boost. When I did that I got a whole bunch of nasty looking oil out of the whole system [likely why the Power Steering pump failed and why the hydro boost wasn't really working right to start with].

What you need:

Some clear tubing [use once, discard it, it's cheap] to go from the RETURN line out of the hydro boost to....

A bucket [item 2]

3. 4 qts. of either power steering fluid, or Ford approved Mercon trans fluid.

4. A helper.

5 Jack and jack stands.

Remove the return line at the hydroboost, lay it to the side or tie wrap it out of the way, install the clear hose at the hydro boost and put the other end in the bucket [I used a 2 qt clear plastic bucket from the paint department at ACE hardware], cheap, disposable.

Jack the truck just high enough to get front tires off the ground, secure on jack stands [be safe please]

With the power steering pump at the full mark, have your assistant start the truck and slowly cycle the steering wheel full stop left then right [or right then left] while slowly pumping the brake peddle. Watch both the fluid level in the power steering reservoir and the bucket. As long as the assistant is turning the wheel and/ or pumping the brake you will get fluid through the Hydro Boost and out the return line into the bucket. You will see the dirty oil coming out the clear line.

DO NOT let the reservoir get low. When it does stop your assistant from moving slowly cycling the wheel and pumping the brake, and add more fluid. Keep doing this until the fluid that comes out is as clear as the fluid going in [Ok , it's not a perfect world.. get it close as you can.]

After I did this, my Hydro boost started working like a new one, really amazing how much better the brakes worked, whining of power steering pump cleared up and I now know I have clean oil in the system.

In my opinion.. this needs to be a regular service item with hydro boost systems. I'm sure mine had never been done in the 200,000 plus miles by previous owner... the oil out was vile nasty..

Reconnect the return line, top off the reservoir, and you should be good.. [might want to take out the jack stands before test drive ] ;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online