How's this for a scenario? Loss of power

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to the bottom of the hill to a 'T' intersection. Either direction, cruising down the road the same distance and a loss of power. Twice now and running about 60/65 MPH.
Pull over to the side of the road, shut it down 3 or 4 minutes, start it up and full power returns.
EVERYTHING is new. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Yes, includes new shower heads in the tanks.
Flikin' money pit.
Water in the filter? Both tanks now about 1/2 filled.
Would be nice if the filter drain was not above the valve cover.
What was that saying? "Ford has a better idea" ? Not sure what it is, but they got it.
Now I got it. 3 Ford trucks and 7(?) Tractors.
Too cold to play with it today and rain, cold rain, the rest of the week.
Come on warmer temps.
I won't say the other diesel truck brakes were frozen when I moved it finally last week. Oops.
Guess I need to rotate the fleet a bit more often.

So, water possibly causing my problem? Any better way to drain it without making a mess?

gandalf

Reaction score
Just a thought. When this happens pull the fuel filter and check whether it's full. If it's not full I'd say you have a supply problem.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temp was on the 'N' of Normal. Mechanical Fuel pump is about 2 months of age.
Loss of power gets down to sitting with the engine idling, push the throttle and about 3 or 4 seconds later, it haltingly revs up. Drop it in gear and acceleration is jerky and no power.
Shut it down 3 or 4 minutes, start it up and the problem goes away.
I am about to drain the filter with about 500 miles on it, and contemplate the electric pump conversion.
Why not? I am now about to be out another few hundred on a hydroboost brake conversion, what's an electric fuel pump between friends?
This is fun. A white land boat.
I/P-Turbo-injectors-all within the past 500 miles.
Bla-Bling.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Aftermarket mechanical pumps are garbage sometimes. You might need to replace it again. That's why I went to an electric conversion.

Beware that if you d go electric, you will probably have to get the engine timed due to higher fuel pressure.

My RV is lacking top end power due to that. It has good fuel pressure and it's within an acceptable range (5-7 psi) so it's not lack of fuel. It's probably higher pressure than with a mechanical pump, so timing is screwed up and I can't get it going faster than about 70mph right now.

Black dawg

Reaction score
So, after being shut off for a few minutes it runs perfect, or just better and then clears up?

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay Shadetree, where are the tank vents?
After sitting for about 3 or 4 minutes, fire it up, it bogs the first time, maybe, then runs absolutely fine .
The first time I had this problem, after it cleared up, it ran perfect for the next 2.5 hours until I got back home again.

gandalf

Reaction score
Okay Shadetree, where are the tank vents?
After sitting for about 3 or 4 minutes, fire it up, it bogs the first time, maybe, then runs absolutely fine .
The first time I had this problem, after it cleared up, it ran perfect for the next 2.5 hours until I got back home again.

Here are the tank vents on my '92 CCLB. The rear tank you can see clearly top center of the tank. The front tank you can barely see it poking up into sight over the top of the 2x4 I have holding the filler line. Both are pretty well centered on the top side of the tanks. I'm not sure how you'd get to them, to the tank end, with the bed in place. To check blockage I'd find the other end and very gently blow back toward the tank. Take care not to blow too hard, as it might pop it off the tank connection. As I recall the ends you're looking for are clipped to the frame.
You must be registered for see images attach

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I might have a near future project. I will verify this the next trip out and popping the 'gas' caps loose to vent the tanks.

"Tank" you!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's a slim possibility, but maybe there's something in the tank that occasionally gets sucked up to your fuel pick up. Then, while it's not running, it falls back off letting your lift pump pull fuel out of the tank again. It sounds crazy, but it could happen.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's a slim possibility, but maybe there's something in the tank that occasionally gets sucked up to your fuel pick up. Then, while it's not running, it falls back off letting your lift pump pull fuel out of the tank again. It sounds crazy, but it could happen.

I actually drove a bad automatic transmission like that once. The first gear clutch was GONE! It fell apart from wear/age, causing debris in the pan. I could drive about 2-3 blocks before it would clog up. I'd turn off the engine about 10-15 seconds, letting the debris fall to the bottom of the pan, then restart and drive a few more blocks. I was able to drive over a mile that way on side streets with stop signs every few blocks, in order to limp the car back home so I could decide if I wanted to have the trans rebuilt or not.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've actually had that happen to me. Then it got lodged in there and I couldn't use that tank until I cleaned it out and blew the gunk out of the pickup... Which reminds me I need to do the other tank still.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually had that happen to me. Then it got lodged in there and I couldn't use that tank until I cleaned it out and blew the gunk out of the pickup... Which reminds me I need to do the other tank still.
I have had this happen too, on an IDI. It was a piece of showerhead. Back to the OP I hope its a vent issue, if not I had a selector valve act this way once. I still don't know why it did it, but it left us on the road several times only to come back later and have it fire right back up. I changed the selector valve and the issue went away.
I would just drive it with a loose cap for several days and see if the problem goes away, then try to get at the vents. They do pop out of the top of the tank if you can get to them and pry. They are held in with a rubber grommet.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured to run a loose 'gas' cap for tomorrow at least. It seems the wife bought a 'new' slide in camper and the truck should get a 260 mile road trip tomorrow. Hope that's all it is. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online