How to tell if i need to replace my rocker arms?

78fordf150

Reaction score
okay so i have started to do a headgasket job on my 86,6.9. and i look at the rockers arms and there seems to be wear on the rocker part,what is a safe tolorance for these?

I would also like to know how to tell if my heads are still good,should the valves be inset in the heads alittle.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The valves must be set a certain depth in the heads. I don't have my shop manual so I can't tell you what it is at the moment. There were two differant rockers available for the 6.9-7.3 engines. If yours has the aluminum rocker in the center and a bridge from one rocker to another on top then those are no good. Now all we can buy is the 7.3 rockers. They fit all the idi engines so don't try to buy a set for a 6.9. You can't get them because they do not exist.... Some may try to sell you that but know what your getting before you pay the money. If you could post a picture of what you have we may be able to post a picture of what you want...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About .050 to .054 on the valves IIRC, just measured them 3-4 days ago. CRS sometimes sets in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You do not need to replace the pushrods when you replace the rocker but its a good idea. Remember that they have a top and bottom to them. The top ball end is a hardened material and the bottom is not. The top is copper colored too. If you remove the used ones make sure they stay in the original locations with the hardened ball end up in the rocker. I use a cardboard box. Write on it passenger side front and drivers side front. and then make a small 1/2 inch cut in the box and stick the pushrods in that. Now you know where they go in the engine.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger