How to solve valve float

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I found this company through a youtube video and thought that their spherical valve work was interesting so I just wanted to share the website with you.

Coates Engine

It looks like they have been working on and developing spherical valves for engines. From what I can gather the spherical valves are placed on intake and exhaust shafts that sits on the top of the head and rotate to open and close the spherical valves for the intake and exhaust. It looks like some new and cool engine design territory that can eliminate valve float at high rpm.

Anyways just passing along the information so anyone who is interested in checking it out can read up on it.

George

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Those guys have been around for a while. They are not too far from me. They seem to have focused much of their energy on power generation and natural gas engines. Neat stuff though
Ken

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto, they have been around for a while. It is not really a new technology, I think there were engines back in the 20's that basically used the same rotary valve technology, they were always trying to find a way around valve float back then.
From what I recall when I first heard about this, they have trouble getting them to flow as well as a properly designed poppet valve. I would think that there would be issues with wear too, but dunno.
I have similar feelings about the self adjusting wheel bearings that they are pitching, not sure what the advantage is compared to modern sealed wheel bearing assemblies, which most cars and trucks use now. Maybe cheaper to implement, and I will admit I like the old servicable bearing setup ...
I am all for innovation, but you'd better make a good case why it is better, we can move poppets reasonably at 8-9k (with push rods even) and they can even get up to 20k in exotic applications....
JwS

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Its not new tech but they did find a way to make it work the best. The top of the heads doesnt even have oil flowing to it! I dont know how well they would perform in racing:dunno I havent seen anyone run a serious high performance motor like that yet. If there was something to gain from it someone would be all over it:sly
Ken