How to fix my factory oil pressure gauge or wire in a mechanical one?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I have been looking into this , the wizzards of the net claim on the92 up trucks you need the oil gauge from a non tach dash in order for the dual pole gauge to work like a real gauge!?
anyone verify this ???
thanx cb

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No, you need the oil pressure sender.
But still have to do like mel said above. Just the resistor on the back.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you need the oil pressure sender.
But still have to do like mel said above. Just the resistor on the back.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Got swapping the sender and jumping the resistor!
Not sure if the no meant that the tack equipped dash is not going to need a non tach oil gauge?
Thanx for verification!
I have a set of pillar gauges on the way, h20/boost/pyro!
Modding the oil would be cleaner as temp is of more concern!
Thanx cb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea the info about the dual ?line? gauge was on one search.
Gunna keep looking!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
We really have no way of controlling the engine oil temp. Under normal driving it will run about 10 to 15 degrees above the coolant temp. Its nice to know what the oil temp is but getting it to cool down is not easy. Getting out of the throttle will drop it or shutting down the engine will make it drop like a rock in a parking lot. When I stop my engine and "shop" anywhere my oil temp has really dropped when I restart the engine. This is about a 30 to 45 minute wait.

You must be registered for see images attach

Black dawg

Reaction score
Another reason (that I have recently discovered) for a real oil pressure gauge, is that it will let you know if a piston cooling nozzle has fallen out.

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another reason (that I have recently discovered) for a real oil pressure gauge, is that it will let you know if a piston cooling nozzle has fallen out.

Or worse still, if the oil pump pickup tube is cracked.

In my case the oil pressure was good with the engine cold. As the oil got warmer and thinner, air started to get sucked into the tube giving lower oil pressure until the pressure dropped to around 5psi gauge. I was fortunate as I had a pre-lube oil pump installed and was able to drive with it switched onto give me around18psi. It got me home with careful driving and then the diagnosis had to be done. Eventually got the problem solved and oil pump, pickup tube, bottom and main bearings all replaced. The problem was spotted before and real damage was done. This was around 1994 - truck out of warranty of course.

It was common with the earlier 6.9 engines (in my case 1986) for the pickup tube clamp fasteners to come off while engine ran. This allowed the pickup tube to vibrate (no longer clamped tight) and eventually crack. I was lucky as mine cracked about halfway around and did not completely break in two.

The repairs I had done at a IH truck place and the bill was around $1800 including tax - I then lived in an apartment building and had nowhere to work on the truck.
The truck engine now has around 350,000km and seems just fine.

So the moral of the story is get a mechanical lube oil pressure gauge fitted - it just might save your butt like it did for me. Very cheap insurance you can't be without.

HTH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online