How to crank truck with bad ing. switch

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to pick up a 89' CC F350 4x4 this morning and was wondering how I can get it cranked to get it on the trailer. How can I get power to the switch till I can get it home to check the ing. switch out. I looked the other night at it and key just turned all the way around in it. Thanks

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
if the steering wheel unlocks, your in luck. take along a peice of wire about 5 foot long. run from + battery terminal to the front plug on the driverside of the injection pump. then with the truck in neutral if it is manual, park if it is automatic, jump the solinoid on the passenderside fender. this will get it to crank over and start if it is warm enough. the glowplugs still will not work though.

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Its a 5spd and the wheel is unlocked with the key in it. The truck was parked about a year ago when the switch broke.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
you could also take along a small 1/4 ratchet set. on the column down next to your right foot is the ignition switch. 2 screws hold it on. unbolt it from the column and use a small screwdriver to slide the switch. it will be just like using the ignition then. no need to use a jumper wire, and u will get glowplugs then also.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you supply 12 volts to the IP with the factory harness wire still attached, it will backfeed the entire truck electrical system, so you will get an automatic glow on the glow plugs and instrumentation and everything. Just don't turn on the 1000 watt stereo and the headlights. It might be a little bit much for that poor 18 gauge wire to handle. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Actually, if you supply 12 volts to the IP with the factory harness wire still attached, it will backfeed the entire truck electrical system, so you will get an automatic glow on the glow plugs and instrumentation and everything. Just don't turn on the 1000 watt stereo and the headlights. It might be a little bit much for that poor 18 gauge wire to handle. LOL

Now ya tell me. I discovered that last weekend thinking I had a gremlin when the glow plugs cycled.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow.... Thanks Mel... I had no idea the entire electrical system could back feed thru just that one small wire on the injection pump. Makes sence though. Glad all the above postings are teling the original poster about the same thing to get the truck running. For me to get down under the dash to trigger the ignition switch is just not going to happen... I can't work under the dash because on my back issues. Plus getting so much older things are getting stiff.... All the wrong parts.....:eek::angel::D Suxs getting old and stale like yesterdays donuts.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, works well. We did that when we were having trouble with E-2..... the only thing the key did was unlock the wheel and run the starter....

skintbackfarms

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck home today and it ran for a couple of seconds and died out. Haven't been able to get it cranked back up. I've got power to the pump and dash gauges. I'm not get any fuel oout of the pump. Could ithe injector pump be bad?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance