How to convert a ZF from 4wd to 2wd?

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am stealing all the 4x4 stuff off of my '91 to put onto my '95.

I want to keep the '95's E4OD.

Therefore, to reassemble the '91 with all the leftover 2wd stuff, I will need to convert the ZF from 4x4 to 2WD.

Is this something that can be done? I have access to a 2wd trans core, I was thinking about swapping the tailshaft housing and output shafts.

Thanks for any advice,

Greg

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Just get a divorced T-case. That's the easiest way.
I have a driver side drop divorced NP-203 that I'd sell reasonably.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Therefore, to reassemble the '91 with all the leftover 2wd stuff, I will need to convert the ZF from 4x4 to 2WD.

Is this something that can be done? I have access to a 2wd trans core, I was thinking about swapping the tailshaft housing and output shafts.
Yes, its "can" be done. I do highly recommend a professional trans shop with ZF experience. You will be essentially rebuilding a trans. There is just no other way around it. You may be better off finding a 2wd ZF and installing it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on the T19 you can simply swap tailshafts but with the ZF you have to pull the guts out etc or something right?

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the trans needed to be disassembled to change output shafts.

Is this possile with "normal guy" tools.

i have built many automatics and tinkered with a few manuals in the past.

Greg

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF will make you pull your hair out. I'm a transmission man by trade and I don't have all the special tools for working on them. You have to get all the clearances set with selective washers as cases and machining varies from one unit to another. If you were closer I would say to swing by and I would bring my tools home on a weekend and show you how to do it but I'm all the way down in Beaumont and I know that one is a 5 hour or better drive from when I transported an axle for one of the guys here on the forum. If you are interested and are willing to make the trip send me a PM and we'll set something up. I have all the major stuff at home just all my specialty tools are at work.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine, all I did was swap out the main shaft for a 4X unit and put the new housing on the end. Wasn't to hard, but you will need some specialty tools to press off or pull off bearings ect. I went ahead and put in new syncros while I was at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online