How to check my fuel pumps pressure ?

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
1994 E-350 w/7.3 IDI

How can I check my fuel pump pressure?

What is the correct pressure that I will be looking to have?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Easy, but messy, way is to check it at the Schrader valve on the filter housing. I added a T to the oulet port and installed a gauge there. Pressure should be between about 3-7psi.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What pressure do you want..... The inlet to the filter or the outlet to the injection pump. A new filter will have a small amount of restriction but. You really need to tell us what pressure you want... I'm thinking you want the outlet pressure more than the inlet pressure.... Both would be nice to have but. If I only had one it would be the injection pump inlet pressure. These 7.3 fuel systems have a vacuum switch on the fuel outlet to the injection pump. It lites up a dash pic that tells you the filter is plugged up and that the injection pump is drawing more fuel than can be pushed thru the filter.... I saw my dash lite come on a few times way back in 1997 about a year after I got my truck..... Took me a whiles before I figured out what was going on..... Changed the filter and its been fine for years.... But I have changed the filter, pump, injection pump and many other fuel related things since then....:angel::D

PoodleHeadMike

Reaction score
an excellent question -

I don't know what I want to know. <g> I am interested in checking things that, to my non-Ford diesel mind, seem like they may be related to the symptoms I'm experiencing with my truck.

It sort of 'surges' at certain speeds. As though I were pushing and releasing the throttle pedal slightly and repeatedly - but it happens with my foot rock steady.

So far I changed the engine oil and filter. Although I forgot to do my usual 'pre-change 'flush' - normally I add a quart of so of Marvel Mystery Oil a few hundred miles before I chnage the oil. I changed the transmission fluid and filter. And I changed the screw-on fuel filter.

Not too long ago I also replaced the FIPL sensor too. Although that 'weird shifting up and down' problem seems to be gone now.

Although: what the hell do I know? Maybe the transmission just does something Else weird now. <g>

So anyway: while I wait for the ******* to either quit or have something fall out the bottom - I thought I may as well check a few things. Like the fuel pressure. <g>

PHM
------

What pressure do you want..... The inlet to the filter or the outlet to the injection pump. A new filter will have a small amount of restriction but. You really need to tell us what pressure you want... I'm thinking you want the outlet pressure more than the inlet pressure.... Both would be nice to have but. If I only had one it would be the injection pump inlet pressure. These 7.3 fuel systems have a vacuum switch on the fuel outlet to the injection pump. It lites up a dash pic that tells you the filter is plugged up and that the injection pump is drawing more fuel than can be pushed thru the filter.... I saw my dash lite come on a few times way back in 1997 about a year after I got my truck..... Took me a whiles before I figured out what was going on..... Changed the filter and its been fine for years.... But I have changed the filter, pump, injection pump and many other fuel related things since then....:angel::D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.