how much boost can the stock turbo handle?

pdxfordguy

Reaction score
Not on faith, on the dyno.;Sweet Innercooler would help, but these kit turbo's (banks, hypermax, ats) are not performers beyond 12-13 psi. You wanna got higher, a different turbo would be the best way to do so.

Heath

but before going beyond 12-13psi, studs and better gaskets are required, right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... The studs are a cushion for the unexpected issues that come along sometimes but.. I ran a stock head gasket and stock bolts on my passanger side head for over 350,000 miles with no leakage. My drivers side head was off and a fel pro gasket used when the cylinder on that side cavitated. The shop doing the sleeve work wouldn't replace the stock head gasket because it was not needed in their oppinion... Yeah... I'm buying that... I feel they wanted the extra labor to do the head when I came back later because it let go... Well that never happened and they lost out on the income. So in closeing the stock head gaskets can last plenty long at 12 or 13 lbs of boost towing heavy like I did. Using the better fel pro or the Victor Teinz head gaskets and the ARP stud kit will insure things stay together and you run safely for many thousands of miles.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i happen to like my ATS IC kit alot:D;Sweet:D;Sweet
yes. it did cost a whole bunch of $$$, but imho not having to cut into my core support was worth the expense.
one more thing, ever since the install in 2005, it's been problem-free quietly doing it's thing.;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4911

Attachments

• ats IC layout.jpg
    ats IC layout.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ats IC layout1.jpg
    ats IC layout1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 29

pdxfordguy

Reaction score
ok, so looking at the 93 today ... it has a garret turbo on it ... is this stock? Is the garret turbo better than the brand new banks sidewinder? The black 93 runs great and seems to outperform the 92 ... but im just going by feel. 93 does not have egt or boost guages. My only complaints on the 93 is not 4x4, clutch is SUPER stiff/does not release all the way and its not a crew cab ... picky picky, huh?

I am thinking pretty seriously on swapping the short block to the crew cab, and leaving all the new stuff for the 92 (by new I mean brand new this last summer 2011 ... nearly $20k in parts and installation. I got the truck back agust 27th 2011 after a month in the shop)

it went in originally for a clutch ... then brake system was completely replaced, then added the new turbo to replace the old one, then both axles then this, then that ... I ended up with nearly everything new except block/internals and transmission (power train wise anyway)

I guess im going off topic a bit, but still related to boost I guess ... garret vs banks, 92 idi block/heads vs 93 idit block/heads.

wmoguy

Reaction score
ok, so looking at the 93 today ... it has a garret turbo on it ... is this stock? Is the garret turbo better than the brand new banks sidewinder? The black 93 runs great and seems to outperform the 92 ... but im just going by feel. 93 does not have egt or boost guages. My only complaints on the 93 is not 4x4, clutch is SUPER stiff/does not release all the way and its not a crew cab ... picky picky, huh?

I am thinking pretty seriously on swapping the short block to the crew cab, and leaving all the new stuff for the 92 (by new I mean brand new this last summer 2011 ... nearly $20k in parts and installation. I got the truck back agust 27th 2011 after a month in the shop)

it went in originally for a clutch ... then brake system was completely replaced, then added the new turbo to replace the old one, then both axles then this, then that ... I ended up with nearly everything new except block/internals and transmission (power train wise anyway)

I guess im going off topic a bit, but still related to boost I guess ... garret vs banks, 92 idi block/heads vs 93 idit block/heads.

If your willing to do that kind of swap again and throw that kinda money around I'd say screw changing out that ATS turbo system for a Banks or Hypermax. All 3 are going to be similar in performance. If you want better performance than one of the "big 3" build a setup of your own. THere are much better turbo options out there than the Big 3.

Just my .02

pdxfordguy

Reaction score
If your willing to do that kind of swap again and throw that kinda money around I'd say screw changing out that ATS turbo system for a Banks or Hypermax. All 3 are going to be similar in performance. If you want better performance than one of the "big 3" build a setup of your own. THere are much better turbo options out there than the Big 3.

Just my .02

yeah, it wasnt my intention to put out that kind of money ... just added up a few hundred at a time ...

I am attempting to not add additional expense ... I have the 93 idit in the "driveway" right next to my 92 ... the only "expence" that I will have is the time/effort/labor of removing 2 engines, swapping parts and re-installing them ... plus fluids/filters/gaskets etc (minimal expense in the grand scheme of things)

I did not know if garrett was the same as ats or differemt ...
I was wondering if the garrett turbo was better/same as the new banks one I have already on the crew cab ...

My thought was to take the block/heads from my 93 idit and all the new bolt on components that have been installed on the 92 idi and marry them together for a still mostly stock, relativley no more expense reliable driver/tow rig.

I have always liked the crew cabs and have had a few ... usually with the 460. I found a crew cab diesel 4x4, swapped my rear dually axle and fender flares from an older gas dually ... bought the spacers to run dually wheel in the front ... and thus I have my 92. I dont plan on replacing this truck any time soon ... so last summer when the shop did all new suspension/steering/clutch/turbo etc, I was just thinking it makes it more reliable and dependable ...

Following that train of thought, I figured having the bigger writ pins etc would make for a more reliable powerplant ... I have every intention of selling or scrapping the ext cab anyways, so why not use what I can first? my block is still good and is a runner ... I plan to turn up my boost, and want to make sure I wont blow it apart ...

before I scrap/sell the other truck, I will first put it back together and try to sell it whole ... but Im not against parting it either ... I could put the 7.3 into the 4x4 van ...

Black dawg

Reaction score
Yup, past 12 psi, your turbo is out of it's efficiency range and can surge. You won't really gain HP as the air is being super heated by the turbo and you can kill the thrust bearings.

Heath

There aren't many plug and play turbo kits for the IDI. Hypermax makes one, but it isn't cheap. You're probably better off grafting in something from a 6L or 7.3L or some universal IC that runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000CFM. That having been said, I'm not sure I'd simply take on faith that there in no more power to be had beyone 12-13 psi of boost. It probably isn't prudent to go much further without studs. We should really calculate each one of these turbocharger's maps; they are all slightly different. As for PDX you still need a little more boost before you want to even worry about an IC.

last time I mapped out my turbo(ats kit), anywhere from 2000 to 3400rpm, 15psi was still well within the map and on a pretty good efficiency island. It never got anywhere near the surge line. 20psi in the higher rpm starts to get into the choke point.

I am completely comfortable running a 7.3 at 15psi.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
last time I mapped out my turbo(ats kit), anywhere from 2000 to 3400rpm, 15psi was still well within the map and on a pretty good efficiency island. It never got anywhere near the surge line. 20psi in the higher rpm starts to get into the choke point.

I am completely comfortable running a 7.3 at 15psi.

Yours is the 088, correct?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the question about the Banks/ATS kit, the ATS is a Garret T3/T4 hybrid and the Banks (assuming it's the wastegated version) is a Mitsubishi turbo similar to the one they put on the turbocharged Eclipses. WMOguy and Gary are right about the big 3, they aren't designed for absolute all out power. They were designed not to break engines and give a modest increase in HP/Torque over stock. Thanks to NMB2 and racinndrummin we now know for sure that a better turbo can free up more power. I expect to see many non stock turbo projects in the next few months/years. The studs are really good insurance at over 12 psi on a 6.9 and over 15 on a 7.3, but in my opinion we really haven't proven that good Fel-Pro or Victor gaskets combined with studs, torqued correctly and a properly prepped surface will let go at any reasonable boost level.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sense were talking aboutthe big 3 turbos. Dose anybody have a compressor map for the hypermax pulse kit.? I'd like to see just were it actually falls out of it's efficeny range.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you dealt with this company before?

Yes they rock :sly

12psi is all you guys suggest for a 7.3? i've heard thats the limit on a 6.9 for reliability but a 7.3 has 1/2" head bolts and can take more boost right? arp makes studs for both now too:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
ARP actually has two differant studs for the 7.3 engines. The first stud they offered was a bulk 7 inch stud that was about 3/8 inch longer then we needed but it fit and works. Typ4 and I run those studs and they work great. Then they finally made a set that was the correct length at something like 6.73 inches of something around that length. You can lesson the costs too by using the 6 point nuts instead of the 12 point nuts. Only differance is mostly looks. They both hold the same. Studs can be reused many times more than stock head bolts plus they are stronger...