hood preventative maintenance

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So my hood release handle in the cab broke a while back and I rigged up to continue to work, basically just the plastic mount snapped. I lived with it for a while until i found a new hood release lever on ebay for 20 bucks. I figured it was cheap enough to just go ahead and replace. So anyway, i get the hood latch unbolted under the hood and get the cable detached from the hood latch and it turns out the cable has been fraying for some time at the hood latch end. The wire was down to maybe 2 or 3 strands out of like 20-30. So basically, that would have really sucked for it to break all the way. I'm not entirely sure how you open the hood with the latch cable broken. I'm sure it can be done but sure doesn't look like it'd be fun. Anyway, long story short, you might want to consider replacing this cable or at least examining it to make sure yours is not about to fail.

Replacing the cable was a ***** and a half. Getting it out was easy, i just cut the end off and pulled it back through into the cab. Getting the new one back through the firewall and into the engine bay sucked. The head on the cable is really big and just barely fits through the hole in the firewall. I had a bunch of extra electrical wires that I had added in that hole over the years to get from engine bay to cab, so i had to remove a bunch of them first to get the latch cable through, then had to reinstall wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online