Holset H2E on a 6.9????

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Hey folks. I demolished an old roll-off truck a few weeks back and saved a few things for my truck, like the DAVCO heated FWS canister, some goodies to do a CDR block-off and RDT conversion, also nabbed the Holset H2E turbo. Not sure of the AR specs and Gooble hasn't been any help with a serial/model # search but was wondering if anyone had ever monkeyed with one of these on an IDI, boost pressures, spool time etc. It has a 17cm housing and T4 flange. I wouldn't mind building a remote setup for this if it's not gonna blow my heads clean off the block. No hurt feelings if the consensus is a big NO WAY since I'd then be posting it for sale in the Pstroke section. Those guys love those H2E's. Aaaaaand GO........

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Also, anyone have dyno numbers for a propane-fogged N/A engine? I like Ziggsters setup and have gathered almost everything needed. It's simpler than a turbo setup and I'd only use it for hill pulling, trailers and hauling firewood off the mountain. Kinda on the fence with the whole turbo deal, although if I had 2k for a Hypermax setup I'd pull the trigger on that in no time flat. That said, limited funds is the reason behind the H2E inquiry and I have everything else I'd need to plumb it up at work. It would dang near be free power if she'll play nice with my engine.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your question about tje H2E... you know this came off a 9 litre engine, right? Hot tuned 7.3 psd's have a hard time spinning them up! They are the usual recipe in 600 hp builds and a LOT of timing on the fly. Something mechanical engines can't do.

Second, why are are you adding more fuel to an N/A engine? Just turn the pump up a flat. Now if you were talking about oxidizers like N2O, then it would make more sense.

A turbocharger will push more air into the engine. More oxygen+more fuel=more power.

No oxygen+diesel+propane=high EGT and maybe detonation.

We just don't have the fueling requirements for that turbocharger. An hx35/40 combo would be ideal. Small turbine, large compressor

Last edited:

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Yeah, I yanked it off a Cummins L10. I didn't do a helluva lot of research into the mods the stroker guys had done before adding the H2E. Problem is, unless I get the chance to demo a truck with a smaller engine/turbo I won't be coming across any free boost anytime soon. I figured that if I could get it to spool at all it may not create enough boost to be worth anything. On the propane side, I've done a bit of research here and read through Ziggs page quite a bit. While yes, propane is a fuel, the quantities fogged into the intake would use the propane as more of an accelerant. Popular consensus and in-cylinder conditions for any Diesel engine says that a flash fuel such as propane would create a more complete burning of the fuel for short bursts when needed. In some cases, using propane as an accelerant will lower EGTs however slightly. Introducing more diesel fuel into an engine that cannot draw more than one atmospheres worth of air isn't going to do anything but reduce brake mean efficiency thereby wasting fuel with no balanced power increase per volume of fuel injected. Seems to me most N/A guys running propane foggers are pretty happy with the results. Detonation also will not occur if the correct volume of propane is injected, say 1-2 psi, which is plenty for an N/A.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are injecting an extra fuel that has a decent octane content, but when you take an n/a pig like the idi diesels, the pumps can fuel way more than they were intended to. Turn the pump up one flat and watch your EGT's. It doesn't make sense to supplement a lack of fuel with another fuel if you can inject more of the primary source. Turbocharging ;) it works. Alfred Büchi wasn't an idiot developing them for trains. Besides, piston engines are horribly inefficient! Ebay/craigslist a parts truck with a turbo or a complete take-off kit. Add air first. Air is cheaper and increases efficiency

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I understand the principles behind forced induction and if could afford a $500 ATS takeoff I'd run 50 miles to go get it if I had to! Believe me, adding more fuel in any way is not my first choice for a power adder, be it diesel or propane. Not a big fan of NO2 either. I have all of the parts for a simple propane fogger, including oil pressure switch, micro switch, 2 stage regulator etc. It would be something I would use until I can pony up for boost. Also, like I said in the first post, it would be an occasional-use item and would be switched on when pulling big grades loaded and hauling firewood around the county. I live 3500' up in the Sierras and the grades can suck when loaded. Most of my driving is between 3000-5000' elevation.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which side? I used to live in Reno, NV and I miss it!

I mean, propane is a more efficient burn because it promotes homogenous combustion, but now you're telling us you have even more of an air restriction! Just dont want to see a post here you melted a piston! That would be bad. Hmm can you rig a water/**** injection? That would help much more than a propane kit

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I'm in between ******* Pines and Camino, Hwy 50. Gorgeous area! So you know what terrain I'm driving in

You know, last time I headed down to Folsom for my kids dr appt it was like driving a whole new truck! Gotta love that thick air down on the valley floor. I'm glad you brought up water/****, we were just talking about that for a coworkers truck. I can get the specs for that pretty easy and build my own. I too would hate to post about melting anything inside my engine, especially since I was just in there last October when I had gasket failure and she looks awesome inside! Maybe water/**** will be the way to go. Thanks for your insight!!

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Ok so...water/**** and bump up another half flat or just water/****? I have it bumped a half flat from stock already with a pyro. Is WM gonna cool down my in-cyl temps enough to justify the increase in diesel? As it is I've never had EGT's above 1000 and it's struggle to get my coolant temp over 210, even when pulling a flatbed with my father in-laws broken Dodge 1500 on it up to 5k elevation.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice spot. I love the Sierra Nevada mountains. So pretty and the crisp air. Not to mention Tahoe! Many a drunken Hot August Nights event there...

There is a writeup about using the water/**** as a supplement like you were thinking about with propane. Turn the fuel up until you are happy with the EGT. I'd say 1100* when you are on it hard to be safe. The water/****(windshield washer fluid) is fuel and an oxidizer. Also a nice steam cleaning! Veru safe setup. I wanna run it on my bronco eventually.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
It is beautiful here. I moved up from Sacramento 15 years ago and never looked back. Sounds like water/**** will be the way to go until I can feed her some more air. It would be worthwhile to leave it installed even after the addition of a turbo. Thanks again for the conversation. It's much appreciated!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online