heres a good one for yall, tick kinda sound.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Hey everyone hows it all going? my truck has been running strong no complaints still going good just this last two weeks ive noticed a sound that wasnt there before that is intermitently there and not there. it is a ticking kind of sound only at about 1200 rpm and up it doesnt get louder or more scary sounding as the rpm or load increases. its a perfect constant sound. ive tried listening for it under the hood with a stethoscope but everything its comparable with one another injectors, valve train etc. i am totally stumped its there and sometimes its not at all. any ideas to what it could be. this week im going to pull the valve covers off and check it out in there, i thought about geting intake gaskets to but cant remember if that can be done with injector pump in place or doesnt it require removal. i wanna get a set of new hyd lifters and toss them in and hope that one of them is weak any sugestions please or questions about the tick, i tried recording the sound but it is to hard to do so

nickcox

Reaction score
Without hearing the noise you describe..... it's tough. My advice would be cracking injector lines to identify cyl. It could also just be injector noise. Do you have any exhaust leaks?

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
Ive tried to record the soundBut it sounds fine in a video it onky does it while driving not noticble at idle im stumped and so are the other techs in my shop i just gotta find out if i can takethe intake of wwith ip in place and replace the lifters with new ones and see if that helps ill order everything this afternoon and hope i can get it all changed without removing the ip lines arr no prob to remove and valve covers

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would check the driveline first.
If it was engine related, it should do it sitting still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArcticDingo

Reaction score
As nickcox pointed out above. Any exhaust leaks? I developed the slightest crack on the drivers side manifold right where in make the bend downwards and started getting a tick from 1500ish RPM but only under load and it was temperature dependent.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As nickcox pointed out above. Any exhaust leaks? I developed the slightest crack on the drivers side manifold right where in make the bend downwards and started getting a tick from 1500ish RPM but only under load and it was temperature dependent.

Yes. My psd did that.
But couldn't really replicate it at idle, since couldn't load the engine enough to spool it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
hmm very interesting, i looked at my manifolds the other day for soot and signs of leaks and all clean rusty look i shud say no oil on anything there, will have to inspect furter for sure, but tonight i did look over my entire driveline right down to the tourque converter nuts. all is good. so ill double check for cracking on the manifolds

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
So am here at my shop now pulled valve covers everything looks all good re tourqed the rocker arms no loose . So reinstalled them and started it up got it nice n hot spooled it up and made what i think the tick is but not 100% sure was so hard to tell but it almost sounded like the right rear inj ticking away i cracked that line and the sound im sure it lessend but so hard to tell i was using a stethoscope to i dunno wat next try diff injectors drive it and see?

suv7734

Reaction score
So am here at my shop now pulled valve covers everything looks all good re tourqed the rocker arms no loose . So reinstalled them and started it up got it nice n hot spooled it up and made what i think the tick is but not 100% sure was so hard to tell but it almost sounded like the right rear inj ticking away i cracked that line and the sound im sure it lessend but so hard to tell i was using a stethoscope to i dunno wat next try diff injectors drive it and see?

Just for clarification- driver side rear or passenger side rear?

suv7734

Reaction score
Drivers is left and pass is right 98% of the time in the auto business so yes pass side rear lol

Agreed. Some people refer to it the other way so I thought I'd ask to be sure. lol

Check the routing of your throttle cable. On the drivers side there is a large rubber insulator to prevent direct contact with the injector line (#8). On a stock installation there is nothing on the passenger side due to how it is run up to the IP. That being said your installation is anything but stock with the remote mounted turbo. If the throttle cable is in direct contact with an injector line it will 'telegraph' each injector pulse through the firewall. That would also show up with your stethescope since the firewall acts like a'speaker'. I've seen a few with contact on the driver side that will drive you nuts with the pulse.
Just a thought.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
ok i will check that in the morning im up for any and all suggestions at this point, its frustrating, its not getting worse but is sure annoying and only i can hear it, i ask other people if they hear that and look at me as if i belong in a white padded room and say no it sounds like a normal good running diesel, but that being said i know how it sounds normally haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online