Here to learn

Erik

1985 F-250
Reaction score
OK, here is the deal. I think the most complex mechanics I have ever done was to change the break pads on my civic. As far as tools goes, I have a set of socket rinchs and that is about it (Save a bunch of carpentry tools). I do however have a pit in my garage. However, I am a quick learner.
I was recently given an f-250. I have just had the Carborator replaced by a local shop. The guy their tells me the truck is in great shape. So I have decided to make it a project vehicle and learn as I go.
First question. Am I doomed from the get go? Second question, I think my first task will be to replace the clutch, do I have a chance of doing this my self? Finnaly is their any thing on a 1985 f-250 that is natoriusly problematic that I should be watching out for?
Thanks for any help.
-Erik

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The most notorious problem on any 80's Ford is rust! If that situation is in check than you have a great project. If you are mildly mechanically inclined you should have no real problem changing a clutch or doing any other work on this truck. You may need to invest in more than a basic tool set to make things easier on you. If you have good memory for where stuff goes your not doomed!
Best of luck.
Ken

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Cool, welcome to the forum!

Gonna need more details...

Engine? (300I6, or 302, 351, or 460V8s)
Tranny? (C6 auto, or T18 four speed stick)
4x4?
Mileage?

Adrianspeeder

Erik

1985 F-250
Reaction score
I am replacing the tie rods. I have just finished removing all the nuts that seem important. I Removed one from the inner tie rod on the passenger side one from the drag rod, one from the outer tie rod on the driver side and one from the inner rod on the driver side. As far as I can tell the whole drag rod/ tie rod assimbly should be dissconected from the truck. Only problem is it wont budge. Is there somthing I am missing or do I just need to used some force? Oh by the way it is a 4x2 if that matters.

-Erik

Last edited:

Cowboy2199

Ford Diesel Tech
Reaction score
I am replacing the tie rods. I have just finished removing all the nuts that seem important. I Removed one from the inner tie rod on the passenger side one from the drag rod, one from the outer tie rod on the driver side and one from the inner rod on the driver side. As far as I can tell the whole drag rod/ tie rod assimbly should be dissconected from the truck. Only problem is it wont budge. Is there somthing I am missing or do I just need to used some force? Oh by the way it is a 4x2 if that matters.

-Erik

NOOOO, all you have to do is unscrew the outter tie rods from the adjusting sleeve between the inner and outter tie rod. The drag link (center link-depends on the terminology) should be connected to the pitman arm and idler arm. You dont need to take it loose to replace tie rods, just remove the nuts from the inner tie rods and pull them loose from the draglink.

If replacing both inner and outter tie rods, measure their lenght fully assembled before you take them apart. That way when you put it all back together with new stuff, your alignment will be pretty close.

If you are only doing the outter, measure from the end of the sleeve to the end of the tie rod. Again so you can put everything back together like it came apart.

Write all measurements down on a piece of paper to quickly remove the CRS factor (loss of memory). LOL My short term sucks, so I write stuff down if I have to recall it quickly.

Erik

1985 F-250
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the great info. I am going to take another crack at this this afternoon. I am glad I checked to see if anyone had reasponded befor I jumped in.

-Erik

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You've got a pit????
With that you ought to be able to do most things without too much fuss just from the comfort factor ;Sweet
It's a lot easier to learn to work on them when you can reach things easily.

-----------Robert......seriously jelous:hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online