HELP

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few wks ago I posted concerning a major swap project I am doing with two trucks. One is a 7.3 DMF ZF and the other is a 6.9 auto.

I have both trucks spread all over my garage and ran into a hitch. Keep in mind this is a budget job. The dual mass flywheel I was going to reuse with the ZF is wasted. I have access to a 6.9 flywheel and thought about using it with Cheaper Jeepers genius but I am concerned about balance problems. See these 2 threads.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7639
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sho...t=16973&page=2

If the 87 6.9 and 7.3 flywheels were the same per agnem article was Ford just being overly conservative? Has anyone used the 6.9 SMF on a 7.3 with Cheaper Jeepers pressure plate and disc and zf with any success? I don't have $600.00 right now for a conversion kit and I have to wonder how much difference there would be between the OEM 6.9 flywheel and Jeepers part numbers and the aftermarket conversion kit.
Suggestions??

Last edited:

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I have a luk smf from a 7.3 on my 6.9 and no problems in four years. I would say just do what it takes to make it work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes the parts are different. but keep in mind these motors rolled down the assembly line not knowing what they were going into. and when you go to the wrecking yard to buy a motor, they don't have a record of what kind of trans was behind it either.
there's a large variance built into the balance of the motor. for those who are looking for untimate HP, the variance is an issue. for most others, the imbalance is never noticed. bad pumps and injectors are more often the source for the percieved imbalance.
bolt it in and run with it since you're on a budget.
if it doesn't feel right, park it immediately and wait until you build up funds again, but odds are you're going to be OK.;Sweet