help with low\no oil pressure!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving home from work today. the oil pressure gauge dropped down below the edge and the engine light came on. I quickly pulled over and by the time I was pulled over the gauge was back up.it continued to do this up and down until I get home. I listen carefully to the engine the lifters are not rattling or knocking or anything like that. I'm assuming that it's not an oil pressure problem but a gauge problem.

I went to the auto parts store and bought a new sending unit. It is doing the same thing with the new sending unit. oil level is fine I just changed it last week with delo 15 W 40.I changed the oil filter no change. I guess tomorrow I need to buy a mechanical gauge unless you guys know of a bad electrical connection somewhere at the firewall maybe?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i grounded the wire at the sender and the gauge pegged

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know that the stock gauge is a dummy gauge but it should not read zero and turn on the light suddenly. mine does move with oil pressure but of course we dont know what "n" is or "o" etc but its gone dead which aint right. is it a pressure problem or gauge problem?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im stressin over this. going to bring home a real gauge tomorrow and hope all.is well

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have an engine light ? Maybe I'm not the brightest but I dont see any engine light. Def let us know how your mechanical gauge works for you. It doesnt sound like an actual oil psi issue.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes there is an engine light on the lower left side of the dash that comes on when the gauge goes to no oil pressure.i dont know how its connected to the gauge though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When my rig did this I was driving home one nite on the freeway. Every so often I swa a red flash on that area of the dash your referring too about the light. I just could not look fast enough and still be in my lane to see what was happening. I do have a another actual pressure gauge and it was doing fine. Turns out the sender was bad as was the electrical connector to the sender. Just crimped the wire connector after changing the sender and all was well. But yes.. A pressure drop can upset a person. Our dash gauge does not actually show us a pressure variation. It just tells us we have pressure to run. The fluctuation means nothing as far as pressure changes.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have an engine light ? Maybe I'm not the brightest but I dont see any engine light. Def let us know how your mechanical gauge works for you. It doesnt sound like an actual oil psi issue.
1983-1986 trucks didn't have a engine light.
1987-1994 trucks do.
just one more thing to panick over.
enjoy.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wire that connects to the sender seems ok. i gotta leave for work now...on foot. ill bring home a real gauge

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 did this when I bought it. Mine turned out to be a bad gauge in the cluster.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sons burb is doing the same thing, figure its the same kind of issue. Eventually we'll add a mechanical gauge to it.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, I think you'll find that once you add a mechanical gauge, that everything is fine.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
napa brought me a real gauge. i sure hope thats it.if its an engine problem im screwed