HELP w/ 6.9 with 7.3 TURBO DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL DMF

bigbellyking

SouthernMilitia
Reaction score
Ok,
Short story. I have a NEW Valeo 1994 part number 167708.
It fits the Factory ATS turbo engines 1993-1994.
I know that it will bolt up to the 6.9 and 7.3 non-turbo.
VALEO has another part number for the non-turbo engines part number 167755.
BUT...pioneer and other DMF manufactures show 1 part number for turbo and non-turbo.....
Will my engine be out of balance if i use the Turbo valeo 167708? if so, can i have the machine shop balance my engine to the non-turbo?
thanks guys!

KEEP RATTLING!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a true turbo flywheel then yes a 6.9 or na 7.3 will be outta bslance.

Better to find correct application since otherwise you take all rotating and reciprocating mass into machine shop.

Essentially all pistons pin rings rods bearings crank crank gear fly wheel and hamonic are needed to balqnce engine.

Zo ya...get correct flywheel

JM2CW

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why go through the hassle of tearing down the motor and doing a rebuild over a flywheel unless there is a reason for a rebuild? You are going to have it stripped to its knickers, seems silly not to freshen it up while its apart but seriously, I'd just go for the right flywheel and be done with it if the engine is okay.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact local engine machine shops...

Be aware that there is very significant differences from a TURBO 7.3 to a NA 7.3 and in all likelyhood balancing would be an extreme pita.....they would but down the weights on the fly wheel.

As I said aquiring the correct flywheel for your application is a much more inteligent choice with much less headach and problems.

bigbellyking

SouthernMilitia
Reaction score
I bought the flywheel with intentions of using it on my 94 turbo engine. Cylinder wear is so bad it needs to be re-sleeved. Got a low mileage 6.9 for cheap, so this is how I got stuck with the wrong flywheel.
Stinks nice Valeo dual mass flywheel just sitting there.
Thanks for the input.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang on to the turbo flywheel; I understand they can be hard to find. No surprise since the factory turbo engines were only a two-year run.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built my 7.3 into a turbo engine, had some issues with it so on the last teardown I sent everything in to get balanced, they said my rotating assembly was out 150g (I believe, could be wrong) and that was with the turbo flywheel. I also got them to balance a flex plate too while they were at it, cost me 670 bucks mostly because of the Mallory metal they had to put into the crank. Was more then I wanted to spend but on a rebuilt engine you tend to do that lol

Your best bet is get the right brand name flywheel like a Luke smf and be done with it. I would stay away from the dmf just because they are stupidly expensive and they won't hold if you do any big power mods. They also seem to wear out before the clutch does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online