HELP truck died in middle of the road

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck just shut off like I turned the key off but I didn't. Can get it to turn over by jumping the relay on the fender but not getting any fuel. It's like I lost power to the ignition because the fuel gauge doesn't move when the key is on

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
There's a yellow heavy gauge wire near the pass side fender mounted solenoid that had a gray connector in the middle of it. Look for any sign it has melted and lost connection.

This seems to be a common problem with our body style. Most people cut the connector out and splice both sides of the wire back together.

Also look at the rubbery wires near there (fusible links) for swollen or broken insulation, which is usually a sign they've been fried...

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Here it the wire and connector.

You must be registered for see images attach

Before you panic, I've re-done that properly...

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happened to me last year and the plug was melted. Also check the wires that go to the plug that goes torwards the fender. The blue wires on my truck were melted

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing melted or disconnected. Could it be that the ignition switch is bad? Or should I by pass that grey connector in your picture?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shot in the dark but did you check the fuel shut off switch? I would guess if you aren't getting power from the ignition to the fuel cut off switch for whatever reason you would have what you seem to have.

Noob here so hopefully you will get more responses.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Well, to get it home, you can run a hot wire to the FSS on your IP and jump the starter. That will get you running and get you home.

After that, I would check your ignition switch. Pull it, use a test light to see if you're getting power to it, then cycle it through the positions and test if it's switching power on.
Not really familiar with the bullnose ignition switch system, so I can't really give you specifics. Sorry.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Check to see if voltage is getting to the fuel shutoff solenoid, , if no, check wiring, if so , see if it clicks if uou jump it, if no click bad solenoid, if click, youve got some serious problems . ( maybe) check fuel filter , while it will usually sputter before dying, they can just clog and die, especially if it gelled. Check for broken fuel lines, broken lift pump

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions. I am going to test the ignition switch in the steering column as I have no power at all inside the cab. No headlights, dome light, or gauges come on. Also get no clicking when you turn the switch to any position. I am guessing the switch finally took a **** or a wire to it came off.

Had my dad tow me home by the way. I knew I could jump the FSS and then jump the starter relay but wasn't sure which terminal on the FSS to hook the jumper wire too.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
That yellow wire will cause you to lose all power to the ignition switch but the lights should still work... This is a head stumper....

Take a very close look at your battery connections at both ends of all the cables...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If the ignition switch is bad you should still have lights, but check it anyway. The actual switch is mounted on the steering column down near the floor. They are cheap and easy to replace (about $7 and 10 minutes), but are not the only thing that can go wrong.

Sounds like the FSS may have gone bad, check that too. Light problems may be a coincidence, but don't take that for granted. If you concentrate on getting it started, you can worry about the lights later, or they will fix themselves.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
A lot of the power wires meet there, but only one actually goes through it.

FSS failures are kinda rare from what i've heard...

If the entire truck went dead at once that sure seems like either batteries or battery connections. If it happened while driving and the alt couldn't keep the voltage up that would also cause it to shut down, or it's just plain not charging, but one thing at a time....

Garrett_halter93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying this could be a reason, but I know a friend of mine got in a reck in his silverado, and it somehow messed with his battery tray etc, and started causing his truck to leak oil anyways. He was driving it to his moms to park it and they live on a very busy hill in the middle of no where and it just shut off right on the hill, and the whole thing is a blind spot, but apparently he just wiggled the hell out of the cables and the terminals, and he got it started, got up in the drive way and hit a bump, and his truck completly shut off again. So it could possably be something with your terminals etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online