Help...Replacment key Lock Cylinder...need feedback!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm on my second aftermarket replacement ignition lock cylinder....but like the first one it won't fully engage-seat in the hole!
It will EASILY slide in all but 1/8" then stops dead!

The OE cylinder busted at the normal place (end nipple) that and the OE cylinder came out just fine and even if I put the busted nipple back in-place and reinsert the old ign cylinder it will full seat to the locking-pin.

The aftermarket "lockSmart" cylinder looks like an exact replacement but something ain't right.
Any Ideas as to why the new cylinder will not fully seat???

I have a Ford cylinder $$$ coming in tomorrow but I'm doubtful that will fully seat!

Any ideas???

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to somehow engage the rod that goes down the column to the ignition switch. I have never had one apart so dont know the details. Maybe with the key inserted and rotated it will go in.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with a little filing at the very end of the nipple and some persuasion I got the aftermarket cylinder in...the key turns nicely but has a little more resistance when turning to the "start" position > > > but it's focking freezing outside too!

All I can surmise is, wore internal column parts and a new-true lock cylinder don't go too well together.

New OE Ford cylinder-lock will be in tomorrow, I'll buy it and 'if' it falls-in place easily I'll keep it...if it's just a bad going in as the aftermarket piece I'll return it to my Ford dealer.