help identifying my T19

351W

Reaction score
I bought a working T19 today. It shifts into all four gears and reverse. When I turn the front input shaft the rear turns the same direction in all gears but reverse.

The casting numbers on the driver side are:
L7-85
13-09-065-911
Borg Warner
Q1

The casting numbers on the top behind the shifter are:
13-09

I will go ahead and measure how many output shaft rotations I get for a single inputshaft rotation.

351W

Reaction score
I put a black dot on the input shaft and a black tape on the output shaft and compared rotations.

First gear was 5:1. Second gear was 3:1. Third gear was 1.75:1. And fourth gear was 1:1. I did think to measure reverse but the output shafts did turn in opposite directions. I think I will pressure wash it and bolt it to my engine.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anything it sounds like it works fine and is worth using. There doesn't seem to be any loading up of the shafts or bearings when torque is applied to the shaft is there? Or slop in the shifting forks? Not that these would stop me from using something, but I would just consider going through it with seals and maybe bearings if needed.

351W

Reaction score
The in put shaft easily turned the out put shaft. There was no binding. The shifter was easy to move from gear to gear.

I think that I will be happy with 5.11:1, 3.03:1, 1.79:1 and 1:1. A Normal first gear for me is between 2 and 3:1.

Do these T19s break and if so what breaks under catastrophic failure.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say this, in all of the applications I've ever used and worked one of these tranies I have yet to ne. But I am very religious about keeping good lubes and seals in. And I love synthetics when the seals are good to seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony