heads up display from TS Performance

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of the heads up display but there is no application for our vehicles. I was wondering if it needs the computer to interface through or could we just add the sensors that it looks at for monitoring the different perameters. I spoke with the guys at TS and they weren't sure. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks,
Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Heads Up Display (HUD) does require a very sophisticated computer to generate the signal.

For those unfamiliar with a Heads Up Display (HUD), they are clear pieces of glass or heavy Lexan upright in the viewing area of a pilot. The HUD do require a very sophisticated computer to generate the signal that displays the airspeed, direction, weapons status, and so on. A few years ago Nissan tried the HUD idea out on some of its cars. Too many drivers fixate on the HUD images because they are right there at near eye level. Pilots get literally years of training to learn how to use the HUD without fixating on it. As far as I remember, Nissan doesn't offer the option any longer.

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at the TSP product and it looks like it could be adapted. Because it's more like a cyclable LCD monitor with four display panels that mounts to the steering column rather than a true HUD that would project the continually changing data on the windshield. It seems you can only display one onto the windshield. So, essentially you would still need to take your eyes off the road to check the display or cycle through the options to display what you need on the windshield. As far as attaching it to a non PSD truck, I would think the computer that comes with the module would be able to be modified to your truck. I would have to see the electrical schematic to really know if it could be adapted.

dbensen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole reason for even considering something like this is I have no place to mount conventional guages in the '89 Van. The PO just screwed them into the dash pad. It took me over a year to find a pad without push pin holes in it or being cracked from the sun or a fist. There seems to be no off the shelf accesories for the E-series at all. They are like orphans for aftermarket suppliers. If something accidentally fits the van after it was designed or the truck they you are in luck. Other wise your hosed. The struggle goes on. Thanks, Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug, check the IDI tech article section. One of the members replaced his factory dash gauges with quality aftermarket ones. There are step by step instructions and photos to help guide you through the change over. It may take a bit longer (he did his in 2 days), but it's cheaper than a HUD.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Diesel Fly said:
Just remember, it's a truck and not a figther jet :rotflmao

You'd never guess how many airplane parts have been installed on my trucks over the years. Oh wait, was that out loud? Having a very well maintained benchstock at your disposal is very "convenient". ;Sweet

As Doc pointed out, it does take a pretty sophisticated computer setup to merge all those functions into one display. One thing to keep in mind when comparing a HUD in a car to an aircraft is "situational awareness". A pilot has a far greater field of vision, distance is on his side, and three dimensional movement. He uses the HUD as a reference point. In a car the HUD is a distraction. The drivers field of view is usually limited, space is usually not on your side unless on the open freeway, and you only have two dimensions to manuver in. Most drivers can't drive and change the radio station at the same time. Pilots are trained to "drive", monitor engine performance, engage targets, navigate, monitor weapon status, use mutiple radios, and avoid obstacles all at the same time. I'm not a pilot, but I have a fair amount of time "in the seat" and spent a lot of years trusting my life to them in some pretty tough situations.

Enough of that. HUD in an automobile...not necessarilly a good idea.

Tom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online