Headlight Switch Wire Colors?

paygie94

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a new member here but have always looked to the oilburners crew when troubleshooting issues on my pickup. I've searched around the forum for any info on headlight switch wire colors and what they do but have not seen anything.

Heres the deal:
I have a 91 F250 thats been having headlight issues for quite some time. I could drive at the most 40 minutes with the headlights on before they start shutting off for a few seconds, then coming back on, and just causing all kinds of ruckus. Soo, replaced the high/low beam switch because it seemed to be worst when I would switch back and forth.... But that didn't work. Finally got around to replacing the headlight switch and sure enough the plug was all burnt up and falling apart like I've heard these trucks seem to have an issue with.

The thing is, my plug fell all apart when I finally got the melted switch off of it. (I'm not sure how they even worked at all by the looks of it) I need to use the truck and I need to get this headlight issue fixed ASAP! No autoparts dealers in my area sell the plug. I'm hoping someone could tell me what color wires do what and where they should be placed on the switch. The wires are all actually in good condition and could be easily connected to the switch.

Can anyone help me out on this one? Pictures would be absoutley wonderful if at all possible. Thanks guys!

paygie94

Reaction score
Okay that's what I was planning on doing but how should I go about figuring out where they go on the switch?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the switch, it should have letters near the terminals.

B=black/orange

A=tan/white

DN=orange/black

D1=lightgreen/yellow

H=red/yellow

R=brown

I=lightblue/red

IGN=yellow/black

D2=black/pink

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
can anyone decode the cryptics posted by franklin2, I would like to put my gauge lights on a relay kicked by the dash lights and the easiest way I see is to mount the relay under the dash and kick it off of the switch. I either need that or which wire at the bulb controls the running lights. so I can kick it from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat