Headlight switch gave me the finger

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Tonight i went to leave work(dark out side with the time change of course). pull the switch out, running lights and dash lights come on just fine and then the switch gets really hard to pull out. i eventually get it out, head lights come on for a couple seconds, flicker, and then die out. $HIT!!!! i am an hour from home and it is dark out. welp, i got to drive home holding my turn signal lever back. that gave me low beams and high beams. surprisingly i didn't get flashed once. Tomorrow morning i am gonna pull the switch out and hopefully put a new one in. about a month ago i ordered a head light relay harness from RJM injection, but have yet to get a ship confirmation or actually get the harness. Tried calling them and nothing. if all else fails they are only about 40 min from me and i will pay them a visit. Also made up my mind tonight that i am gonna get some aux driving lights that are bad a$$ enough to run by themselves as head lights in an emergency situation like i had tonight. Probly gonna get a couple Rigid Industries Dually fogs in spot pattern and mount them in the front bumper cut outs.

Just glad the switch didn't decide to combust....LOL

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I just ordered a harness from RJM...

Hope they come through faster than they have for you. I also hope you get yours soon.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't spend 90$ for something you can make yourself for less than 10$.

listen carefully.apply this and you'll have no regrets.
on fte,do an advanced searched using my name and dirtydiesel's.you'll see there details on how to make the harness when he asked.so i guess advance search-thread titles-91dirtydiesel-thread titles-headlight harness.should take ya right to it.it's about the main artlce there "brighter lights better whites" - or something like that,but simplified down cus he was unsure how to follow that is all.it should help you understand it too.
after this of course replace the switch (which will now no longer burn out again.) next hop on ebay and grab some new clear headlight lenses.or just factory style replacements.new lenses is the big key here.

if you follow this advice,you'll have bright,clean,clear,white (no more tinted yellow lol) and you'll think your just driving a modern safe vehicle which will more than likely last the for the life of the vehicle.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
my soldering skills suck so i am not gonna build a harness lol. i will just wait.

recently i took out the silverstar bulbs and put in some philips xtreme visions in or something like that. those made a world of difference. i wanted to do the clear housings, but between not want to spend more and more money on this thing and being plenty happy with the new bulbs and old stock housings i lost all interest in clear housing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the extreme visions, just haven't tried them in my truck yet. But just picked some up earlier.

I've heard the silverstars only last about 6 months.

With any housing new or old, the key is a good UV protection.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised based on what you said happened. It sucks. Mine will be going back together with relays all over the place. Glad it's no worse than it is.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing earlier this year. Found the same crap when I swapped mine. Last half inch of insulation crispy fried off though. Might want to really inspect what wiring you can get to so you can catch any problems before it gets as bad as mine.
I found my dome light wiring fried too, in fact when I put in a fuse for the dome light my truck won't shut off..... And there's not enough room to repair with out pulling the dash as it's burned from the fuse box into the main harness. At this point I'm hoping this $600 crew cab pans out so I can just swap my junk in LOL

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my harness from RJM on October 7th. I've been calling and leaving emails for two weeks. Nothing. Good luck. I am already passed pissed.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good to know about RJM, I was going to order the charge cable for my 3G install from them, then I priced out cable and decided I could do it locally cheaper. Definitely not going that route now if it's taking them a month to ship stuff.