Headlight Switch, Dimmer Switch, Relay Mod(s), etc.

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Well hello Oilburner Community!

I have been on this forum for a little while, I just haven't posted much. I have to say, of all the forums I have been a part of, this one is hands-down the best one!

Okay, down to business. The vehicle in question is a 1994 F-250 turbo diesel, 5-speed. My wife was driving it the other day, and called me to inform me that the headlights had just "magically" stopped working. She was able to get home safely, and we parked it. So, I hopped on Oilburners and discovered this is an all to often occurring issue. I did some reading about the headlight relay mod, of which I plan to do. I have not been able to look at the headlight switch at this time, but I am expecting that it will show signs of electrical overloading. Since I haven't looked at the headlight switch, I do not 100% know what it looks like. The following link is what I was looking at to replace the headlight switch:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1004233&cc=1124783

Is that the correct headlight switch? I also plan on replacing the connector going into the switch. Also, does anyone know of a good source for this part?

In my reading, I saw multiple post saying if a person is going to replace the headlight switch, they should figure on replacing the dimmer switch as well. Just to make sure, is the dimmer switch the "stalk" on left side of the steering column, which also operates the windshield wipers? Would it be good insurance to replace the dimmer switch, even if it has been working? If so, is there a particular brand of dimmer switch that I should look at purchasing?

As I mentioned earlier, I fully intend on doing the headlight relay mod. I looked at the write-up that many people have listed, and it seems pretty straight-forward. The only thing I have a question about is regarding the in-line fuse portion of the wiring. I saw somewhere (can't remember what post) that someone cautioned using in-line fuses, but rather a person should use in-line circuit breakers. From an automotive standpoint, I am not familiar about a circuit break. Do they look similar to a fuse? Does anyone have any recommendations for a source for an in-line circuit breaker?

Finally (I apologize for the long-winded post) I have seen people mention other relay modifications. I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) another main mod is a running light relay, which I understand to be the cab lights. I do plan on putting in a relay for the running/cab lights, but I was curious if there are other lights that would be recommended to be put on a relay?

Again, sorry for the long post, I just want to cover my basis here. Thanks in advanced for your help!!

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most part stores sell breakers that will install in place of " normal" fuses. Also bolt on ckt.breakers are readily available. It just resets automatically after an overload condition.

I approached the issue a different way, installed LED headlamps that use way less power and can run on 6 - 30 volts. But $$$

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my replacement light switch and pig tail at Autozone. My running lights had quit working and it turned out to be the switch was burned out.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On these trucks I haven't heard of needing to replace the dimmer also. And that would get pricey as it controls the turn signals and wipers also. Think it's about $80 or so.
The fuse type circuit breakers are on any vehicle with power windows and locks. That rectangular metal thing in the fuse box.
Here's a mountable one I bought awhile back.
You must be registered for see images attach
This one doesn't auto reset though, and it's probably way bigger than you'd need. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do some checking around because there is a kit for our trucks that includes the wires and relays. All you do is cut some factory wires and install the relays and new harnes for the headlights. About an hour job. I installed a kit and mounted the 2 relays next to the fender mounted solenoid. Still have the dim headlith lense so thats another project. I have polished them many times but its never correct. May have to replace them.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Should I be thinking about making this mod? I have sealed beam headlights, not inserts, but they still use all 12 volts through the switch. Or are the older dash mounted switches more durable? Sorry for the hijack.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Knuckle....

You should consider doing it also. All the IDI era trucks, (Slant, Brick and OBS) have very poor wiring from the Factory. Also, Ford did not discover the relay until the late 90's when the SuperDuty trucks were released. On the older trucks, all the power to the lights is passed through a very small wire. Even the factory only lights is honestly too much for the factory wiring. If someone adds lights to the truck, or tows, all the power for those lights is added to this small wire, the tan one I believe it is. It is not uncommon to find this tan wire partly melted, and/or the plug it goes into melted. This design had burned trucks down due to a short and wiring meltdown. Bad design. I am not 100% sure, but I have heard all the power that goes to the fuse panel is run through a constant hot that passes through the headlight switch. Relays are a really good idea. Like I said, Ford finally discovered the relay and started to use them properly. They even went one step further with the SuperDuty, if you have a factory tow package, the trailer lighting circuit is completely separate, with separate fuses, so if you have an issue with the trailer lighting, the truck lights still work......

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Recently did this mod as a preemptive measure. The light switch and wiring still look really good on mine, but I wanted to do it at home under my shade tree rather than on the side of the road at night. Coupled with some new lenses the difference is literally night and day. Was using 20A fuses but I like the circuit breaker idea. Highly recommend the mod.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I will have to do some research and acquire parts to make this mod. So far, I rarely drive it at night and do not have any extra lights on the truck. Thanks for the info!

94_dieselpower

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies!

I just plan on buying the components and wiring it in myself. I want to do it, because I plan on putting the cab lights on a relay, as well as setting up a couple more relays for driving/fog lights, as well as back-up lights. So, I need all the practice I can get with wiring!

Is it good practice to put the remaining lights on their own relays (i.e. tail-light/brake lights, park lights, etc.)?

So, there are circuit breakers that would fit in an in-line waterproof fuse holder? All the circuit breakers I have been finding are similar to the one 79jasper posted and some "blade" type that sorta-kinda-almost looks like a regular ol' fuse, but the blade part looks longer.