has anyone ran the hypermax turbo kit?

drive for free

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a non wastegated ats turbo kit waiting to go on my truck. but i might go with a hypermax kit. and sell my ats kit. has anyone tried the hyper kit? or been in a truck with one on it? how did you like/feel about it? thanks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sit tight someone will chip in with actual experience. I like my ATS 088. Honestly I think I could get a lot more out of it with a Hypermax smoke puff limiter for the IP and turn the fuel ALL the way up. I can still hit 7-8 psiG boost if I stand on the throttle, I just don't like the heavy exhaust smoke this makes.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is little perceivable difference in who-ever's turbo "kit" that one opts for; the differences being mostly in such things as waste-gate control and intake design.

So far as the turbo-chargers themselves, only about three companies actually build them with GARRETT being the most prevalent among the after-market kits.

The HYPERMAX turbo-charger that is on my old 6.9 is a GARRETT.

Honestly, any old vacuum-cleaner is capable of 7- to 10-PSI boost pressures, so just about any little old turbo-charger is capable of those numbers; therefore, there is not going to be much noticable difference among IDI turbo-chargers. :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not real sure I can totally agree with this. Some turbos may be out of their efficiency range even at 7-10 psiG...I could be wrong. On the other hand this is not true for a Banks, Hypermax, or ATS. I really think the differences are in the piping of the hot and cold air, not so much the turbo itself. All the companies mentioned selected turbos that would fit comfortably under the hood and wouldn't blow up the engine unless you were very careless. I've only really ever heard of Air Research, Borg Warner and Garret turbochargers, maybe a couple smaller names and maybe they have also been gobbled up by one of the bigger companies by now. I agree that they are all going to be better than nothing on an IDI and none of them will by themselves make an IDI a beast like a Cummins or PSD.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hypermax , and non gated banks and ats all use the same internal parts as far as wheels, having rebuilt several ,the differences are just in the exh housing and piping to the turbo. And yes they are all garrett or rotomaster, pretty interchangeable.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
so id probably be just as happy if i saved money and used my ats kit? and just add a intercooler?

Unless you ever need any parts for it or any customer support in which case the term *happy* is not likely to cross your mind when dealing with ATS...in most cases ( with some exceptions )the words that come to mind generally contain four letters and shant be mentioned in mixed company. On the other hand getting on the phone with the folks at Hypermax is always a friendly , helpful experience. They still support their older equipment and they are the only company out there that is currently still developing performance products for our trucks. I don't know how much there is to the performance factor of the pulse feed bit on their pulse turbo that , well, you
ll have top read up on it, I can't explain it, but theirs feeds the compressor wheel differently than others, supposedly takes advantage of a few things. Looks like it would be a much easier install , and the ats is a complete nightmare if you have to remove it to work on anything. If I had mine to do over I would get a Hypermax and if the money somehow just appeared, I know what Id do with it :D

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have the hypermax on mine and really like it. I have installed mine and helped install another members and its no small task but easier than the other kits. I have had to work on the stock idi turbo (ats), and a banks at work and dont recommend either unless you have them and they work. The plus to hypermax is they back their products, they still support us, and the ease of install.

just my .02

Punk

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have herd that the design delivers faster spool ups almost like a wastegated turbo but isnt restrictive on the top end like a wastegated turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like my ATS 088, but RL is right if you need ATS specific parts your SOL, you either have to fab them yourself or toss it or find in boneyard. As Typ4 mentioned the ATS turbo itself is Garret and I bet there will always be parts for them unless these things are flat out banned, but up pipes, casting collectors and so forth, you will not be able to get. If I had a chunk of money I'd probably buy Hypermax or fabricate my own custom system but the ATS is there and it works well. Doesn't seem like the install was too bad, but I don't know how I'd ever get those slip joints apart on the up pipe if I ever had to take it off. I have had the down pipe off, and that really wasn't too bad to get apart. Went back together and doesn't leak any.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I already had the ATS or whatever, then that is definitely what I would use; and then, I would cross the parts bridge in the unlikely event that I ever came upon it.

If I were designing/building from scratch, the turbo-charger would be HOLSET brand, no questions asked.

Every piece part and particle of a HOLSET can be had almost anywhere; they are the small-block Chevy of the diesel turbo world; and, they are by far the absolute best in design and performance.

Playing around with various sized exhaust housings is what produces the differing situations as to just when the boost starts building; but, that is a trade-off, as EGTs also can become a problem, especially for a heavy hauler. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online