Had pump changed truck still junk.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, had the pump changed to a reman by a mechanic. (First two BWD pumps were bad out of the box he said?) Truck doesn't smoke but shakes terrible at idle. Puffs a couple times during first cold start (white smoke). Has much less power than it did before the pump change. Anyone have any ideas? I'm questioning the quality of the mechanic. I usually do all my own work but, with how busy I've been I just needed the truck done.

Thanks.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there's anyone local to me willing to take a look at it that'd be great. I'd pay for someone who knows these trucks!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I believe him about the BWD pumps. I just put one in my friends 6.9 and i got a bad one out of the box. I went across the street and had Advance order a Cardone unit and while this one runs and will idle, it idles like ****. Reman injectors that i personally pop tested and a cardone pump. Something isn't right. Did he time it? And not by ear?

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea. I don't know if I'll be taking it back or finding someone else to look at it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to find a better pump builder. Ask questions before you buy anything here. This forum has members all across the US and Canada. We know where to buy and where not to buy. Sorry your learning the hard way. Just another item about pump replacement. Never ever allow anyone to remove the injection pump, gear cover and gear at the same time. You will never get the gears timind easily again. One tooth off and its crappy running.. Also getting the injection pump properly timed will wake up a engine.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The rough idle could be caused by air still in injector lines. Open 1 at a time 1/4 turn till air bubbles stop forming and solid fuel comes out.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
It normally works for me but i have had some stupid luck and have to bleed it at the injector. My friend Jake's truck was that way. He drive the crap out of his truck and still needed to bleed it

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get informed, ask that mechanic specificaly how he replaced that pump (s), did he remove the gear tower, and just how did he time it. Report back here with that info. Then maybe we can tell you what's wrong. With out that info, it's anyones guess. SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) diagnostic's just don't solve problems.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
pump timing is critical to getting decent performance, you cant just align the timing marks it has to be timed with the right equipment dynamically. it sounds like it is more than that with the rough running though, when is the last time the return lines have been changed. they can leak air right into the system and desturbing them with a IP change could be causeing some leakage issues. the o-rings take a set over time and become less pliable and more susceptable to leaking.

are any of the injectors getting real hot while running? that is a sign they are sticking open if a bunch of debree got in them from the job while the system was open.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most pumps that come from parts stores are junk. our local napa has a 60% failure rate. they wont admit it, but, I know all the shops and most of the idi owners in my area. The only way to get a good pump is from a good rebuilder. also you could have crap injectors that have started the problem. Also if high miles check valve springs.

and the turnaround time for a pump is about a week, from most rebuilders, my guy gets them done in 3 days.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your Mechanic screwed up. Now your screwed too. You've got a bad pump, or a bad installation. No way for us to tell you which at this point.

Donsbad89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info guys. Its a shame the truck had 102K miles. I've put a ton of effort and money into the truck. It was pretty decent after the Banks Sidewinder kit. Anyways, I'm sick of the IDI, its coming out this weekend for an EFI 460.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online