Had a thought while waiting for the new parts to arrive.........

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year the wife and I purchased a 1977 E350 Holiday Rambler RV. It's lower miles at 78K with the 460cid/C6 auto. There is nothing wrong with the 460 other than the typical exhaust leak. So to my thought... Has anyone put a 6.9 or 7.3 non turbo in the front of a '77 E350. Wondering if the time/trouble and expensive would be worth it? Thinking the diesel would pull better and get better mileage. I have thought of a few things like another fuel tank for the generator etc..... Am I grasping at straws or just going nuts waiting for UPS to show up Friday with my Moose Jr. and injectors?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many vans have an idi in them. Sadly I can't tell you what years they came in but plenty of members driving and working on them. they would be so much more help than me.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having owned several RV's I can tell you...
ride it, until you find the right one.
unless youre attached to this RV, I wouldn't do a damn thing to it unless I had to, or I sold it.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I've got a 92 E350 1-ton stretch van with a 460 and E4OD
I also have an Identical van, a 93 with a NA 7.3 IDI and E4OD

The only advantage the IDI has is better gas mileage, 14mpg vs the 10mpg of the 460.

The 460 kicks the IDI's ass for acceleration, speed, and towing at my altitude of 5500ft. The NA IDI empty van is a snail in mountains at 7000ft altitude. Trying to push a motorhome would be pathetic.

Now, 10mpg was brutal when gas cost $4.00 a gallon years ago, but today, at $1.93/gal it is not an issue.

I love my IDI, it has been rock solid, but so has the 460, which has 370,000 miles and should easily hit 450,000+.

I'd stick with the 460 and enjoy what you already have, instead of spending a couple grand, a hundred hours of labor and getting less performance.

Last edited:

Crankybait

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. The 460 is in super shape, so it will stay in it's home. Guess I was too eager to start another diesel project. The weather had better cooperate Saturday cause my new pump and injectors should be here tomorrow.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my diesel van,there's nothing else like it.
As far as working on it,there's only a few jobs that are a pain, once you take the doghouse off you can get to 6/8 injectors and I can change a CDR valve easier than any of the rest of the NA guys.
Gets 16mpg City/hwy according to the PO
:)

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can change a CDR valve easier than anybody else.:)

REALLY? that's odd, because mines on the driverside valve cover in my truck, I can have that thing off in less than 60 seconds.

do I schmell a video challenge?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your young and agile, I don't think you want to do it. There was/is a thread a few years ago where a guy did what your thinking about in a Class C which would be the same thing. Must of had 200 posts on all the trouble he had. I've got an 84 with the 460, never any trouble except when the rear tank hose let loose with all it's rubber and plugged the carb and selector valve.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. The 460 is in super shape, so it will stay in it's home. Guess I was too eager to start another diesel project. The weather had better cooperate Saturday cause my new pump and injectors should be here tomorrow.

Duuuuuuuude,

You bought a 40 year old motorhome. If you look closely, you will see about a hundred repair/mod/fab projects already attached.

LOL LOL LOL

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are fine with the 5-6mpg you get with your 460 , keep it as it is. there is a reason why the miles on these old MH are so low!:rotflmao

if you can find an older diesel motorhome you might notice the extremely high miles on them .....................because they are good on fuel> for a house on a highway. if you are in MO you don't have high elevation or huge grades to climb.

great project for a diesel guy, but you need a good donor vehicle.

extended vans and people haulers with diesels here in Ontario get massive miles put on them and the gas powered ones are always low miles.
I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online