Group 31 Batteries.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I buy a new set of 1000CCA Group 31's from CAT tomorrow, I just wanna make sure they fit. The width and length are fine, but the height has me a bit worried.

For guys running Group 31's, how close do they come to hitting the hood? Especially on '92+ front clips/hoods?

Heath

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I buy a new set of 1000CCA Group 31's from CAT tomorrow, I just wanna make sure they fit. The width and length are fine, but the height has me a bit worried.

For guys running Group 31's, how close do they come to hitting the hood? Especially on '92+ front clips/hoods?

Heath

mine fit in the spacious van...(not spacious)...oh..and call NAPA first!!...got mine for $60 each...thats $40 off the regular price!!....they are runnin a special!! but I think they were the 950cca's

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
The only IDI I've owned that group 31's fit in was my '85. I tried em in my '88, and a '97 stroker and the hood wouldn't shut. The '97 didn't even come close to shutting by a good 2+ inches.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only IDI I've owned that group 31's fit in was my '85. I tried em in my '88, and a '97 stroker and the hood wouldn't shut. The '97 didn't even come close to shutting by a good 2+ inches.

That's what I'm afraid of.

CRAP!

Heath

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the batts under the cab on the frame. Probabbly shorter cables, a good thing.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the largest group battery that will fit under the hood of a '92+ front clip?

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ignore the CCA's
reserve capacity is the real test.
I can leave my running lights on all nite in the truck rows to keep from getting run over by a big rig while napping and the motor fires up with no issues in the morning. I have some 9 year old Interstates that carry 180 min reserve cap on each batt. Not the highest, but they haven't let me down yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

sootman73

Reaction score
i'll check mine when i get home tonight cuz i cant remember what group my napa batteries are but they fit just fine and i though those were in the 950-1000 cca....

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Group 31's fit just fine in the 88 we have here at work, haven't tried a 92-96 yet, but I seem to recall a buddy of mine having run them in his old gasser 94, just with a rubber flap over the top of the batts because it was very tight for clearance.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've got a couple group 31 deep cycle batteries under the hood of the '86 with no problem.

Fires up like NOW!

;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's what the under hood space on my '92 looks like.

Attachments

• SL379419.JPG
    SL379419.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 78
  • SL379420.JPG
    SL379420.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 61

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the largest group battery that will fit under the hood of a '92+ front clip?

Heath
In my quest to get Group-31Ss in EVERY vehicle on the place, I actually made myself a plywood replica Group-31S, studs and all.

My plywood battery is exact size and shape in every dimension compared to the real thing.

I put a hinged lid and carry handle; and, I keep all my battery related tools and accessories in it.

I use this plywood dummy-battery to check fit and clearances.

It weighs hardly anything compared to the real thing; and, should something contact the "posts", fire ain't gonna fly.

Cobble up yourself one of these dummy-batteries and then you can see just what needs relocating to mount the 31Ss.

I would not settle for anything less. ;Sweet